Insulating a Front Door

Category Weatherizing
Older exterior doors are not always well insulated. This is a guide about insulating a front door.

We live in a tiny old cottage with no insulation in cold territory. The entrance ways to the dinette and bedroom/bathroom sections of the house are without doors. We hang 2 or 3 layers of blankets in these doorways during the winter and only heat and use the primary use room, the living room. Our heating bill is still a little high, but not heating the extended sections of the house saves us about 2/3 of what we'd pay otherwise.

In summer, the blankets remain in the entrance way to the bedroom and the air conditioning cools the rest of the house. Next year, if it's a hot one, I'll add blankets to the kitchen entrance way as well.

Source: Necessity, and talking with husband and a friend; sort of a brainstorm session.

By Nekocat from Oregon

Illinois winter blew in extra-early this year and I did not have the money to buy a much-needed storm door for the back door which leads down to the basement. The thin wooden door has nine windows and two panels on the bottom. I cut cardboard to fit the windows and have sealed around the edges with hot glue which can be removed in the Spring, instead of using caulk.

For the thin bottom panels, I cut cardboard to fit and a pieces of that thin pink styrofoam that was leftover from an insulation project. I covered the cardboard and styrofoam with leftover scrap black material and fit them snugly into the panel. I plan to cover the cardboard window inserts with material as well when I have time to be more decorative.

I have also sealed around the edges of the door using hot glue and thick rope-like material I bought for pennies at the local thrift store. The door is closed off for the winter, but it's just amazing at the difference it's made. There's hardly any cold air coming in at all!

By Susan M. Smith from Mattoon, Illinois