Ideas for Collecting Sewing Materials for a Non-Profit

I work for a non-profit organization and we are making pillowcase dresses and shorts for our nearly 1,000 orphans in Kampala, Uganda.

We are in desperate need of fabric, ribbons, buttons, sewing materials, and so forth. Can you help us?

By Jana K from Dallas, TX

Sometimes local stores will donate some stuff like that. You could also call different churches and ask for their help.

Check out and ask your community, also you can post an ad on Craig's list.

I have a bunch of stuff that I could send you if I had a address. I have a multitude of buttons, fabric, ribbon, and all sorts of sewing materials. I recently had to clean out my mother's sewing room and acquired much more than I need. I would love to donate it for your cause as I have been looking to find someone who could use it in my area and have yet to find anyone. Let me know if you would like it and where to send it.

Michelle from Maryville, TN

August 8, 2011 Flag

I have a non-profit organization and I have recently started a new project. We are making blankets for animal shelters, as well as getting donations of animal supplies from places like PetSmart. I am curious as to where I might be able to request fabric donations other than freecycle or craigslist? (I have placed an ad in both.) If anyone has any information, I would highly appreciate it.

By Ashley D.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about posting notices at churches, grocery stores, 4-H clubs etc.? It might be a good way for a youth group to help out also.

You might post on Freecycle for your needed supplies, also there is a place on Craigslist for items wanted. Hope that helps.

Can you use secondhand fabric? Secondhand stores and thrift shops often have an over abundance of clothing. They may be willing to let you have it. You may need to put your name on a waiting list for when they have it available. I own a secondhand store and there are times when I would be happy to give excess clothing to a group making blankets for animal shelters.

Better Living Charity AdviceMay 17, 2010
dog food dish
Make Your Own Non-Slip Pet Dish
Non Toxic Mold Cleaner
Non-Toxic Mold Cleaners
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material