Tips For Staying Within Your Grocery Budget

Groceries continue to go up and I have been determined to not go over my grocery budget. Here are several things I have started doing to stay within our food budget.

1. I only grocery shop once a month. This has been a little difficult to do, but I am savings more money!
  2. I sit down once a month and plan a menu for the month. Once that is accomplished I go through my coupons and put the ones I am going to use in a envelope so I have them ready for the shopping trip.
  3. I buy the store brand, unless will known brand is on sale for the same or less. I do not have any complaints about the store brand. Why pay for all that advertising for well known products?
  4. There is a bread outlet about five miles from my home. I go there once a month and stock up on bread, rolls, tortillas, etc at excellent prices. These products freeze and keep. I always run other errands in that direction on the same day. The half price bookstore isn't far from the bread outlet, so I can usually pick up a real bargain there, too.
  5. Check with you store, they may give a senior discount. I shop at Krogers and filled out the short application for their Kroger card, which gives me another 10% off on all of their Kroger and their Private selection brand.
  6. I watch the cashier as the items ring and thus am able to catch an error while I am checking out. The last time I shopped an item rang up wrong, and the cashier gave it to me at no charge because it scanned wrong.
  7. The store I shop at has a markdown area for items they are no longer going to carry, I check that and usually find several great deals. For example, a box of Lara Banana Nut Bars, which were out of date by one day. I got the whole box for $3.99! These sell for 1.99 each and the box had ten in it.
  8. I do have to stop for milk and a couple other items during the month. When I do I just pick the items up at the convenience store where I get gas. This way I am not going into the grocery store and buying more then I need. The gas station I stop at has competitive prices on milk, eggs and a few other items.

This shopping once a month has been very good for me. It has caused me to be better a better shopper and the great thing is, it is saving our family money. Hope you will try it.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Good ideas! Another is, make sure and check your pantry before going to a dented-can type store, so that you don't overstock. I just cleaned out items from by cupboard that were way past the pull date, that I didn't realize I had. Take a list!

I also put my coupons in an envelope, but I add my grocery list to that envelope. It tends to get lost in my purse if I just stick it anywhere.

Great ideas! But my family always complains about frozen goods (breads, meats). Any way you make it more appetizing?

I do "big" shopping once a month, but go once a week for all the fresh vegetables, salads, and fruit. I use a lot of those:) I only have a small freezer and often bake my own bread, muffins, etc. I don't think I could go once a week and still have a enjoyable fresh fruit and vegetable diet:) I always make menus and then a shopping list before I go and take coupons. When making menus, I always check what I have in the freezer and pantry. I buy sale items and stock up the pantry with things like soups, tomato paste, pasta sauce, and salad dressing.

Harriet

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingApril 4, 2008
carrots
Saving Money on Carrots
Refrigerator
Refrigerator is Not Staying Cold
Shampoo Bottle
Saving Money on Shampoo
Satelite dish against a tree in background.
Saving Money on DirectTV
🎄
🍂