A Friendly Raccoon

We were lighting fireworks off on New Years eve and she (the raccoon) came running over to us and was so friendly and loving. She must had been someone's pet for her to be so friendly.

She loves to get into all the kitchen cabinets and into the fridge.

Raccoon

By Pam from Clinton, TN

Please, PLEASE get the raccoon to a vet for distemper and rabies shots. They are very susceptible to diseases that will kill people and pets. If you have neighbors with poultry, they will NOT thank you for keeping a raccoon, either...they can tear up a chicken a day until the whole flock is nothing but feathers and guts. Take it from someone who knows!!!

I used to have a raccoon for a pet years ago. My brother had accidently hit the mother when she and her babies were crossing the road one night. He jumped out of the truck but all he found was one. He took it home and PeeWee lived with us for about two years. He grew to almost 50 pounds - loved scrambled eggs and salt water taffy. We had to take him to a wildlife refuge because he got too wild. I miss him. Good luck with your little guy!

oh CUTE!!! I love any kind of animal that's furry and friendly and darling - what a cutie!

Precious!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely love animals, but agree with Margie--take it to the vet for shots, especially rabies. Racoons are extremely susceptible to rabies, and if transmitted to a human, well there is no treatment for the type of rabies carried by racoons. Be safe for yourself and for the pet. Then love her up.

We got a permit to have her and took her to the vet the next business day and she got all her shots and a clean bill of health from the vet. Vet also agreed she was already someones pet because she is trained and very much knows the word NO. We also went and bought a 6x6 foot cage for her so she will not get to our chickens and as for neighbors that is not a problem being we are on 25 acres so there are no close neighbors.

He already said he got it all of it's shots... Wouldn't that include rabies? Gotta love it when people jump all over ya for what you're doing right. Forums are great places to learn through lurking, though in my experience, when you dare to make a post, people either offer absolutely nothing of value, and jump all over you without good reason since you already did what you need to do (like in this case), or they take a holier than thou attitude. But let's not forget the name calling and flame wars that go along with it that many admins and mods. (some that have no right to be what they are) allow.

Anyhow, I doubt this post will ever actually get posted since guest posts are checked first, and I pointed out an ugly truth. And if it does, it'll probably get edited. Though if you are going to keep a racoon, I would highly suggest you go and volunteer at a zoo for a while to gain valuable experiance in the animal's proper care. Also, do plenty of research online since it's free and more up to date than books. (Why buy books when online research is often more accurate and free?) Get many opinions and then make informed decisions on your own, away from any pressure. I wish you luck.

Editor's Note: Hi Mindy,

Here at ThriftyFun, we value different opinions and ideas but DO NOT encourage flaming, name calling or mean spirited posts. They wll be edited out or the post will never be activated. If you find them on here, they probably slipped by and we appreciate knowing about them.

I did edit your post a bit and reserve the right to delete or edit any post on ThriftyFun that I feel will offend someone and really doesn't contain any useful content.

- Susan

Raccoon Photos
Raccoon Photos
Photos Pets OtherJanuary 9, 2006
A young girl playing with a toy train.
Tips for Choosing Eco-Friendly Toys
Two girls eating pizza.
Kid Friendly Recipes
A row boat floating in the water.
Buying an Environmentally Friendly Boat
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
🎄