Freeze Excess Parsley

When buying a bunch of parsley, I clean off the stems and throw them away. I place parsley leaves in a freezer bag. When needed, I use a scissor and cut off what I need. The rest goes back into freezer until next time. Frozen parsley is better tasting and looks greener. You usually get a lot and it's hard to store until needed. I know it cheap, but do you usually have it on hand when you want it.

By Joan from Allentown, PA

The stems (frozen or not) are good for flavor in broths or for a bouquet garnish.

I also like to freeze Basil leaves this way :-) An added bonus is that when you take the amount you need for a recipe you can easily crumble it in your hand while it's still frozen instead of having to chop it ;-) It's a great time and mess saver :-)

Does this work with cilantro as well. If I plant it it all gets ripe at once. I don't use much, but like to have it....can you use it as you would fresh cilantro or only for cooking?

Being a parsley lover I eat the stems as I chop the leaves.

Marg from England

When I had a garden, I always planted two parsley plants, and I would cut them off, bring the leaves inside, wash them real well and dry them between layers of paper towels. Then I would spread them in a single layer on a jelly roll pan, and put it in the oven set at the lowest temperature, to dry them. When dried I would crumble the leaves and put them in a quart jar. By the time my garden was done for the year I ended up with at least a quart of dried parsley to use until the next batch was ready. I use a lot of dried parsley. I add a dash to almost everything.

Freezing Parsley
Food and Recipes Freezing HerbsMarch 23, 2009
Acorn Squash
Freezing Acorn Squash
Fresh Parsley
Storing Fresh Parsley
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
Storing Pineapples, Canning Pineapples. Sliced fresh mini pineapple.
Freezing Pineapple