Add Beans To Ground Beef

When cooking with ground beef for spaghetti or chili, I often take some kidney beans or bean medley and crush them up and add to the sauce. With the vegetables and sauce, you can not taste the beans, but you get the added nutrients.

This is also a very inexpensive way to have a meal go further by adding less ground beef.

By Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

cooked lentils are especially good at pretending to be burger,too

i have a 13 yr old son who absolutely REFUSES to eat anything with any type of beans in it (he wont even eat green beans if the outer green part has separated showing the beans inside!) so i got smart and started slipping beans into dishes like chili, taco beef, burrito filling. i simply put whatever beans I'm using in the food processor for a few seconds so they no longer look like beans! I then add them to the ground beef and he never knows the difference!! (if I'm in a hurry, i just use a can of refried beans!)

i still like having whole kidney beans in my chili, so i cook them in a separate pot while the beef "mixture" is cooking. He never has a clue, he's eating beans and getting all the iron and nutrients from them! Also it does thicken the mixture and fills everyone up faster than without them!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingNovember 29, 2007
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Ground Turkey Burgers on Grill
Cooking with Ground Turkey