Recipes Using Chicken Quarters

What is a good way (besides grilling) to use chicken leg quarters? They are so cheap when bought in bulk, but I need something different to do with them.

Cheri from Garland, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Cheri and Cookiepom:

Kraft makes a new salad dressing called "Asian Toasted Sesame". It is delicious on chicken! Brush it on your chicken and grill. Mix it with soy sauce or chicken broth and use it to marinate. Brush it on the chicken then roll pieces in bread crumbs, crushed peanuts, or crushed sesame sticks (don't use the kind with honey -- they don't crush, they turn to paste) and bake. I'm sure you'll come up with lots of other ideas. Give it a try!

Best Answer

My son bakes the chicken until crisp, drains the grease and adds Lipton rice, or any your family likes, follow direction, and add a bag of frozen brocolli or any veggies, continue to bake on low. Wonderful and only one pan.

Best Answer

I make delicious chicken and rice soup with leg quarters, or just the thighs alone. Boil the chicken until the meat is falling off the bone; then pick out the bone, fat, skin and gristle, just leaving the good meat in the broth. Cook rice in the meat and broth, adding salt to taste, until done - yummy! You do have to add water intermittently to this to have the soup the thickness you desire. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make as much or as little as you want, by adding more or less rice to the meat/broth.

Best Answer

I have the easiest crockpot/slowcooker recipe

Crockpot Pulled Chicken/Pork

It works as easily for chicken as it does for pork:

Chicken quarters/thighs/drumettes

Mesquite BBQ sauce (1 reg size bottle)

2 Large onions (whatever kind you like)

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 cup water

Skin the chicken quarters

Par-boil chicken in salted water for 10 mins:

Dice onions

Place diced onions in bottom of crockpot

Pour on all of the sauce & water.

Into the empty BBQ sauce put the vinegar.

Shake the bottle well and pour into the crockpot

Stir the mixture well

Add the chicken.

Stir the mixture again.

Turn on the crockpot, cook for 2hrs on high

& 6 to 8hrs on low.

Can be served with rice, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, salad, pasta, egg noodles, etc. It is also great just pulled from the bones and served on whole grain buns with a green salad.

It is delicious, economical, and healthy.

Just for the record, any good spicey BBQ sauce will

work....we happen to like Mesquite :0)

Also, if you like peppers, you could add green, red, and/or yellow peppers to it.

Bon Apetite!!

Pull the skin off the chicken quarters and then grab the leg in one hand and TWIST- the leg will become seperated at the joint and then you can take a sharp knife and seperate the leg from the thigh. Use the chicken any way you want.

Chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites!

Chicken soup, BBQ chicken, oven fried chicken, rosemary oven baked chicken, it is endless...

I like to make chicken enchiladas, Catalina chickens

(Equal parts Catalina salad dressing, canned whole cranberries, you can use just the jelly but it's better using it with a whole berries), ranch dressing and rice.

To get a good variety from a 10 lb. bag of lay quarters, in 9 by 13 pans , divided in to 4 to 6 compartments with a solid sheet aluminum foil, make several different types. Using 3 quarters perception, will put hot sauce on 1 section, spaghetti sauce on another, Italian salad dressing on another. Lemon pepper and even a little soy sauce with the little diced onion and celery on another, this way I have several meals with only having to use dishes and firing up the oven only wants. I do have a food saver they will last for very, very long time and never get freezer burn.

I hope this helps

I like to Oven Fry my chicken. I sprinkle a blend of Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Garlic Powder & Onion Powder over all the chicken quarters, flour them, dip in egg and milk, and reflour them. Place on a greased cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven (WITH NO OIL!!); as the chicken fries, it makes its own oil/drippings. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Make gravy with the drippings scraped off of the pan (make sure you get all the chicken bits!) and serve with mashed potatoes!

Then with the leftovers a couple of days later, I put the cooked chicken quarters in a greased baking dish and cover with a mixture of Cream of Celery Soup, Cream of Mushroom Soup mixed with milk poured in one of the soup cans. Mix this soup & milk up really well before pouring over the chicken quarters. Bake in 350 degree oven until the soup is bubbly, golden brown. Serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes...Nummmmmyyy!!!

God Bless!

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Been doing this with skinless boneless breasts-- should work for quarters--

baking dish, italian crumbs, parmesan cheese, preferred seasoning. --mix crumbs, seasoning and cheese. I coat the baking pan with olive oil- dip the chicken in crumb mixture and into pan-- bake-- think about 40-45 minutes at 350. Sorry I bake by sight and nose-- sure is good...

Have used Canadian Chicken seasoning-- more italian seasoning-- adding parsley-- could use fresh or dried cilantro-- I know Cajun seasoning is good-- starting to experiment with lime pepper seasoning....

good luck

I agree with the chix pot pie recipe! A big hit, easy to freeze for crazy day dinners. Also, cook 'em, dice 'em, then toss with italian seasoning and freeze. On crazy days, thaw and then toss into a salad or make sandwiches. Dark meat has all of the flavor, anyway, so why spend all the money for white meat?

China Chicken

Use leftover duck sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce from the chinese take out. Use all three ( easy on the soy sauce) to marinate the chicken legs in the fridge for 1-2 hours and bake .Do not add water or cover the baking pan. mmmm mmmm good.

Alton Brown (Food Network "Good Eats") just did a bit on Coq a Vin - said thighs and legs were the best to use! (instead of rooster). You could probably do a simpler version than the classic several-step recipe he showed.

I just put four quarters in a rectangular glass dish, mixed up soy sauce (1/4 cup) Ketchup (2 tbsp.) and minced garlic. Poured that, along with a few drops of olive oil on the chicken. Baked at 350 for 1 hour.

Made rice, flavored with salt, pepper and ginger and made an Asian Feast! Yum-O!

A great way to do it that my family loves is to bake them. I put the leg quarters in a glass casserole dish with a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the bottom (just enough to coat the bottom and prevent sticking.) Then I take a brush and brush a bit of the EVOO on the top and season with Adobo. Adobo is my sort of catch all, umbrella seasoning. Then just bake it about 30 min on 350 (or until cooked all the way through.) It goes great with a pot of white or Spanish (yellow) rice.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Three raw chicken leg quarters piled on cutting board in front of tomato, lettuce, peppers ,and a wedge of parmesan cheese
Recipes Using Chicken Quarters
Food and Recipes Recipes PoultryJune 20, 2007
braised chicken thighs
Recipes Using Chicken Thighs
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Tetrazzini Recipes, Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 5:41:53 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 757 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.