Making Febreze Type Fabric Freshener & Wrinkle Releaser

I love the smell of Febreze, but can't stand the price so I searched for an online equivalent which I can not take credit for but will gladly share. Go to any local store and take the caps off the liquid fabric softener, sniff away till you find one you like. Purchase the softener and a spray bottle.

Take two capfuls of the fabric softener and fill the rest of the spray bottle with water and wallah! Instant fabric freshener. If you prefer a less potent smell you can use 1 capful of softener, it still works the same.

Also, if you want to make generic wrinkle releaser you use 1 capful of any liquid fabric softener and fill the rest of the spray bottle with water. Spray on wrinkled clothing tug to smooth and hang to dry - wrinkle free.

But the coolest thing is if you keep your bottle of fabric freshener in your laundry room, you can simply spray it on the wet clothes when placing them in the dryer, I use 8-10 sprays per load and you no longer need dryer sheets but get that oh so lovely smell and feel that fabric softener sheets give your clothes.

By MomFor2Gifts

I am going to have to try this one out. Can't this be used on other things too besides clothes? I use the regular febreeze on my son and daughters bed when they pea after i scrub it down to make it smell good.Tina

I was wondering about using it on other things as well.

On the children peeing issue - I use the Febreeze along with the scrub down. My son has a plastic protector on his mattress. If he has an accident, I spray the Febreeze on the protector and with a clean, wet cloth I wipe down the bed; then I spray with Lysol (kills the germs); respray with Febreeze and wipe dry.

Seems like a lot, but we were at a point where the smell didn't seem to be going away!

DOES IT STAIN FABRIC?

Just need to know what size spray bottle we are talking about for the recipe. Thank you so much for helping us save!

Hi, Sorry I replied before but for some reason it did not post.

As far as the bottle size goes:

It is a 36 oz. sprayer bottle, that I use, which can be found at any Wal-mart or Dollar Store. I recommend against re-using any empty cleaning bottle, as it can have left over cleaning residue which can stain your furniture.

In Reference To Staining Fabric:

I have found no fabric that it stairs but take that with a grain of salt, I have always tested an inconspicuous area first prior to using the solution on anything. I have used it on my curtains, sofa's, chairs, recliner, I even use it in my silk floral arrangements and carpets, as well as a quick spray in my walk in closets on hanging cotton clothing, just dont spray on or near anything silk or dry clean only.

Basically, I have found, anything that has a cloth surface which would hold the scent, I have been able to use this on. It really freshens entire rooms and in winter, when you can't air out the house, it just seems to relieve that stuffy, thick air feeling. ** The only thing I do not use it on, is the fabrics in my own room** I have a silk damask king size bedspread and curtains, I just don't want to take the risk, also these are DRY CLEAN ONLY! and because of this, you really don't want to put a chemical on it, which may during the dry cleaning process rise to the top and leave residue. So as a rule of thumb I do not use this on anything that is DRY CLEAN ONLY! This includes items that you may not actually take to the dry cleaner but use those home dry cleaning kits on. Of course you have to make that determination but I really would discourage using it on these items.

On the peeing issue:

I do not recommend spraying anything, with any type of freshener, without thoroughly disinfecting and sanitizing the item first when bodily fluids have gotten on it. The rule of thumb used in nursing centers is to use a bleach solution mixed as follows - 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Doesnt matter what you use to mix this but you have to make it 1 part bleach 10 parts water, based on the size of the mixing container. The bed or chair or whatever received the urine is then saturated just enough to penetrate the surface. * Dont just dump a gallon of this stuff on your mattress* Once this has been placed on the item and left to stand for 5 - 10 minutes, you will then literally get on the mattress with clean towels that you will place over the solution and stomp, stomp, stomp, to pull out as much moisture as you can.

Let the mattress dry completely before allowing a child, or anyone, to sleep on it again. Though this is a 1:10 mix it can, like any bleach be a strong smell, so let it dry. You can then use the freshening mix and once again let it dry. You dont have to saturate anything with the freshening mix, just a light spray will do it. You can then put the bed linens back on and let your little one or incontinent adult back into their bed.

Health Tip:

When using anything to disinfect any kind of surface it is sooooooooo, important to fully draw out the fluid once finished. Think of your carpet and how the padding under it works. When you have them cleaned or clean them yourself, notice how the under carpet padding absorbs the water and if you have ever noticed when you have new carpet installed the bottom of the carpet is riddled with stain marks. This is what happens with anything containing any type of padding, the liquid used to clean it is absorbed by the under padding where it dries, yet the yucky stuff that it contained that washed through is still there.

This is exceptionally true in bedding. Bedding has a fiber or cotton inner material for padding. When using any product to saturate bedding, in order to clean it, you end up with that substance being wicked away into that material. That being said if you do not draw it back out it can be a great source for bacteria breeding, thus doubly important to remove things like urine and bodily fluids that already contain bacteria, which in the dark, fibrous padding can grow into all kinds of things, no of which can be too healthy for anyone.

Using the bleach solution mentioned above not only kills this but it also can, just like any liquid substance, reach the absorbent material within the bedding itself to kill what lies in there from the urine or any other liquid substance previously used to cover up the smell. This is the main reason why no one should be allowed to re-use the bed until it has thoroughly dried. Most people think a bed is dry when in actuality it is still wet inside where the liquid was wicked away into the padding. A good rule of thumb is 24 hours of dry time as well as, if you can still smell it, let it sit longer for a little bit. I never have allowed anyone to re-use the bed until at least 24 hours have passed. I generally get under the bed and do a whiff test to see if I can smell it under there as it is closer to the padding source. You can also put your hand up in there and do a palm test to see if you feel any moisture.

These are all just suggestions and by no means do I pretend to represent any authority on these matters. These are only things I have personally done and defer you to your own sense of judgment prior to using. Good luck hope you may find some use for these tips.

Thanks for the "wrinkle release" suggestion. I was hoping to find a way to make one at home. Downey has a wrintle release which I love because it's so great when in a hurry or on clothing just wrinkled from the drawer, etc. However, it is expensive, not all stores carry it but most of all it seems whenever I find a product I love, it usually discontinues :-)

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of urine smells in the bathroom? My boys have a problem aiming and bleach does not do the trick. I would appreciate any hints. Thanks.

Someone asked if there was a way to get rid of urine odors from boys who can't aim. I raised 4 and threatened to put inches of cat litter by the toilet. I never did.

I did buy two identical contour rugs that go around the base of the toilet. One I placed in front. as usual. The other I cut to fit in the space behind the toilet. When I placed them around the base of the toilet, over-lapping, I had rug all the way around. When I could smell urine, they got washed and the area got wiped with bleach. I bought them on sale. That worked for years until the boys grew up.

A family member has had their bladder removed due to cancer and has to wear an external collection bag for the rest of their life. There are a number of leakage problems because the only medical equipment is a throw-away item and not for lifelong use as will be the case for this family member. We have found that white vinegar works just fine for flushing the overnight collection bag and eliminating any odors. It should do the job around the commode as well that the mother mentioned having with young boys. The odor comes from letting the problem get old. An immediate cleanup is the answer. We carry various size bottles of vinegar when we travel and keep gallons on hand at home. When linens are wet with urine the best thing to do is just immediately throw them in the washing machine and wash normally.

Problem with fabric softener is, you only need the perfume, not the softener and binders. That stuff stays on what you spray, and over time builds up and feels slick/waxy like fabric softener does. The best mix I've ever heard of was, believe it or not, fill an old febreze bottle with 1 capful of fabic softener, 60% water and 40% cheap vodka. It has no odor, and helps it evaporate faster. Vodka is known to kill odors. try it!

Speaking of bed wetters, I finally gave up and bought a "hi-riser" air bed (looks like the real thing with coverlets etc. same height as a regular bed.) Now, I just remove everything to the washer, wipe down the vinyl with febbeez and start over. NO SMELL & very hygenic too.

I make wrinkle releaser at home by using a little liquid fabric softener, water, and add rubbing alcohol. The alcohol helps the liquid to evaporate quicker. Experiment and use your own judgement as to the proportions of fabric softener to water, to alcohol. It works great!

Great tip about spraying the laundry! =)

My husband is an upholstery & carpet cleaner. He said this would be a horrible idea - it would leave a residue that would actualy attract dirt. Most fabric softeners are petroleum based. Even natural fabric softeners - even though they are plant based - would leave a residue unless rinsed. Think about it - would you spray diluted hair conditioner or lotion on your furniture? A cheap & easy alternative would be a spray bottle filled w/an essential oil you like, water & a bit of alcohol.

If this works brilliant. Will try. Thanks

Homemade Wrinkle Releaser Recipes
Homemade Wrinkle Releaser Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply RecipesSeptember 11, 2004
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
Perfume as Air Freshener
Using Perfume as Air Freshener
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
Homemade Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
🎉
🎄