Retro Decor Ideas

I want to decorate my kitchen and living room in the style popular in the 40s. I noticed that the curtains are normally of a floral print and have already done that.

What was the look of the pillows, knickknacks, lamps, etc.? I have watched some movies set in that era to get ideas and have a few, however, anyone out there have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

By Joan V. from Cedar Bluff, VA

Google : 40's style furnishings decor, then hit the images button near the top - there are other eras mixed in that query that I saw but there are some images so you can get the idea, or go back to the original search before you hit the images button. I hope that helps.

I have my kitchen decorated with old cast iron trivets and have used stove black polish to make them look new. They are lined right under the cabinets and have gotten a lot of comments. People didn't know trivets had lots of patterns and sizes and they were used often to sit hot pots or serving bowl on the table. Besides keeping the trivets as original as possible, some paint them to color coordinate with their furnishings. Do an ebay search to see something you might like or collect.

Sure do thank you for ideas. Gonna go check them out on ebay and also goggle.

Hi - you could check your library for home decorating books, or (even better) look in a second-hand bookstore for the 'Better Homes & Gardens' type home decorating manuals from that era. Or check Amazon or another used-book vendor.

Sounds like a cool decorating project! Maybe you'd post pictures on our site when you're done? Nancy in NC

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenOctober 21, 2009
Rustic Kitchen Decor
Kitchen Decor Craft Ideas
Home Decor Shop
Name Ideas for a Home Decor Shop
disco ball with colored lights behind
Disco Birthday Party Ideas
pom poms
Making Pom Pom Pillows