Browsing: Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit

When considering starting a fruit tree, such as a cherry from the pit, there are some tips and considerations to keep in mind. This is a guide about starting a cherry tree from a pit.

growing a cherry tree from a pit.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 29, 2012 Flag
cherries

Question:

How do I start a cherry tree from the pit?

Edie White from Whitmore, CA

Answer:

Edie,

To start a cherry tree from a pit, remove the pit from the fruit and clean off any remaining flesh. Don't try and remove the hard part of the shell that surrounds the pit. Cherry pits need a chilling period before germinating. To mimic the necessary winter-like conditions, place the pit in a plastic bag filled with moist vermiculite or peat moss (or damp paper towels) and store the bag in the refrigerator for about 10 weeks. Check the moisture level in the bag now and then and don't let the pit dry out. After about 10 weeks of chilling the pit is ready to be planted. You can start it in a pot indoors or plant it outside. Plant seeds about 1/2 inch deep in nutrient-rich well-drained soil with exposure to full sun. You should expect to see growth in after a few weeks. If our planting outdoors during cold weather, the seedling may just stay chilled and resume growth the following spring. After planting, you can expect to see mature fruit after 7 to 10 years. Grafting your seedling onto an already mature tree will reduce the waiting time considerably. It's best to plant several seeds at one time, because a good number of seeds may fail to germinate. It's also helpful to understand that the fruit you eventually harvest from the "pit" tree is not likely to be the same juicy cherries you ate from the parent tree. Commercial fruit trees are propagated from grafting or budding so your seeds will not likely reproduce true to the parent plant. The fruit from your seedling may be somewhat bitter, then again, it might taste even better than the original cherry.

Good Luck!
Ellen

March 26, 2016 Flag

When is the best time to plant cherry seeds and is Louisiana the right climate to do so?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fall

June 4, 2011 Flag

How many cherry pits should I plant in one hole to get a good size tree to grow?

By Wanda M

Best Answer

Cherry pits should be planted in the late Fall because they need the cold weather of Winter to germinate in the Spring; this is called "stratification". I would plant several pits (but not in the same hole) to make sure you get at least one or two to sprout and when they are around 18 inches high, transplant them to their permanent location.

Try planting some cherry pits in a small flower vase and see if they sprout. If nothing grows, you would be better off purchasing a small cherry tree from a nursery.

You can plant any kind of seed in any season if you put them in the fridge for a couple of weeks. They germinate wonderfully. Where I live is a fruit belt. Everything is grown here. Apples,peaches,plums, cherries, grapes for wine. I am currently trying to grow a lemon tree. Even though we have shorter summers than the U.S. I have one growing in a pot outside my apartment. it is doing pretty good. It's acutally sitting in the pot along with my geraniums in bright sun. it gets pretty hot here but no as long as the U.S. as we are quite a bit north from from the U.S. but we do very well here. Winters are quite short and not so cold as other parts of the country. So just put your stones in the fridge for a short while,just a week or so and also if you buy any seeds from a dealer put them in the fridge also and you'll get better germination from them. Doesn't matter if they are veggetables or flowers they all do well if they winter over in your fridge for a couple of weeks.

February 29, 2012 Flag

I got at least 50 by throwing the pits left from canning out into the flower bed. We gradually trimmed out all but one. It doesn't produce heavily, but it's in mostly shade. What it does beautifully is give us shade on the house. Between the cherry and the apricot we got when one of the kids put a pit out, the house is a good 20 degrees cooler in the summer. We like it so much, we planted some plum trees on the other side of the house.

By coreenhart

June 2, 2009 Flag

Can I plant a sweet cherry pit and grow a tree?

By Clutterfree from Charleston, SC

Best Answer

I started a lemon tree from a seed in a grocery store lemon and it lived for years. Looks like Ellen has some great advice archived in this post, I would check it out (scroll down)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I don't see why you should have a problem. The hardiness zone for trees is incorrect. I'm in 5b in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Traverse City, Michigan is up north further and they are the Cherry Capital of the state, if not of the country.

August 22, 2015 Flag

My cherry seed has germinated producing white leaves. What is the problem?
And how can I solve it?

Sometimes leaves become white if a plant was exposed to too strong sunlight or too suddenly after growing in shade or half-shade. If this is the problem you should protect the plant from direct sunlight.

Hope this helps !

May 28, 2014 Flag

I started some cherry and Contender peach pits several weeks ago in my greenhouse. I checked and I might have a cherry growing, but it looks nothing like the seedling pictures, rather a small clump of purplish green leaves. I dumped a pot out and can't even find a pit! Help please.

By Lesley

Its a Purple leafed sand cherry. They have purplish leaves, produce cherries, but a word of caution, overly bitter fruit should not be eaten, the leaves and pits contain a poison and should also not be consumed. * all cherries are like this) sand cherry fruit that is bitter should not be consumed.

October 6, 2013 Flag

I need to buy cherry seed. Where can I find them?

By Conrado

You can buy cherry seeds in any good flower shop.

Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesFebruary 26, 2012
Sprouting Garlic
Grocery Store Gardening
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:25:05 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.