Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit

When considering starting a fruit tree, such as a cherry from the pit, there are some tips and considerations to keep in mind. This is a guide about starting a cherry tree from a pit.

Filter Sort

Tip: Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit

cherries

Question:

How do I start a cherry tree from the pit?

Edie White from Whitmore, CA

Answer:

Edie,

To start a cherry tree from a pit, remove the pit from the fruit and clean off any remaining flesh. Don't try and remove the hard part of the shell that surrounds the pit. Cherry pits need a chilling period before germinating. To mimic the necessary winter-like conditions, place the pit in a plastic bag filled with moist vermiculite or peat moss (or damp paper towels) and store the bag in the refrigerator for about 10 weeks. Check the moisture level in the bag now and then and don't let the pit dry out. After about 10 weeks of chilling the pit is ready to be planted. You can start it in a pot indoors or plant it outside. Plant seeds about 1/2 inch deep in nutrient-rich well-drained soil with exposure to full sun. You should expect to see growth in after a few weeks. If our planting outdoors during cold weather, the seedling may just stay chilled and resume growth the following spring. After planting, you can expect to see mature fruit after 7 to 10 years. Grafting your seedling onto an already mature tree will reduce the waiting time considerably. It's best to plant several seeds at one time, because a good number of seeds may fail to germinate. It's also helpful to understand that the fruit you eventually harvest from the "pit" tree is not likely to be the same juicy cherries you ate from the parent tree. Commercial fruit trees are propagated from grafting or budding so your seeds will not likely reproduce true to the parent plant. The fruit from your seedling may be somewhat bitter, then again, it might taste even better than the original cherry.

Good Luck!
Ellen

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit

By karen 29 21

Can I plant a sweet cherry pit and grow a tree?

By Clutterfree from Charleston, SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Coreen Hart 78 376 Flag

June 20, 2006Best Answer

I got at least 50 by throwing the pits left from canning out into the flower bed. We gradually trimmed out all but one. It doesn't produce heavily, but it's in mostly shade. What it does beautifully is give us shade on the house. Between the cherry and the apricot we got when one of the kids put a pit out, the house is a good 20 degrees cooler in the summer. We like it so much, we planted some plum trees on the other side of the house.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Pits from Canning

By Coreen Hart 78 376

By coreenhart

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Growing a Cherry Tree from Seed

How many cherry pits should I plant in one hole to get a good size tree to grow?

By Wanda M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By JoelD 2 Flag

June 5, 2011Best Answer

Cherry pits should be planted in the late Fall because they need the cold weather of Winter to germinate in the Spring; this is called "stratification". I would plant several pits (but not in the same hole) to make sure you get at least one or two to sprout and when they are around 18 inches high, transplant them to their permanent location.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Growing a Cherry Tree from a Pit

By Abu Bakarr 1

My cherry seed has germinated producing white leaves. What is the problem?
And how can I solve it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Catherine 7 163 Flag

Sometimes leaves become white if a plant was exposed to too strong sunlight or too suddenly after growing in shade or half-shade. If this is the problem you should protect the plant from direct sunlight.

Hope this helps !

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Growing Fruit Trees from Pits

I started some cherry and Contender peach pits several weeks ago in my greenhouse. I checked and I might have a cherry growing, but it looks nothing like the seedling pictures, rather a small clump of purplish green leaves. I dumped a pot out and can't even find a pit! Help please.

By Lesley

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Wolf Hector H. 1 Flag

Its a Purple leafed sand cherry. They have purplish leaves, produce cherries, but a word of caution, overly bitter fruit should not be eaten, the leaves and pits contain a poison and should also not be consumed. * all cherries are like this) sand cherry fruit that is bitter should not be consumed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Where Can I Buy Cherry Seeds?

I need to buy cherry seed. Where can I find them?

By Conrado

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By flowergirl123 1 Flag

You can buy cherry seeds in any good flower shop.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

growing a cherry tree from a pit.
    Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesFebruary 26, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Sprouting Garlic
    Grocery Store Gardening
    A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
    Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
    Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
    Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 7:29:18 AM on 10.0.1.164 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings