Browsing: Washer Not Spinning Properly

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

My Kenmore washer is great, but sometimes the spin cycle doesn't come on. If I hit it on the corner where the lid connects to the washer it always starts it up, but I had someone tell me it was the belt wearing out. I am going to sell it and I want to be able to tell them the truth.

By Susan from Reno, NV

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have had this fixed twice, and it is not a belt. I didn't see any belts in the machine at all. I think old gas machines had belts. There is a small part that wears out the transfers energy from the motor to the basket. My repair man fixes this problem in a matter of minutes and small cost, $60 for the service call, I think, and $10 for the part.

March 2, 2013 Flag

My washer will drain the water out, but most of the time it will not spin. It makes a sound like it's trying too. I can reach inside and rotate the drum counter clock wise until I hear a click and most of the time that fixes it the problem. But I have to do this with almost every load, after the rinse cycle and on the final spin.

By Melody D

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just had this same problem with my washer. I did have to call a repairman. He found it was a plastic round "cog" thing that had broken. The part was very cheap but the call and his labor were not.

Check your belt. That would be the first step in any appliance that sounds like it is slipping. Been doing this with my Sear's machines - forever! My mom even had those!

August 15, 2011 Flag

My Kenmore washer is locked and it won't spin. What can I do to fix it?

By Tony

I call a repair man. In my town there is a guy who comes on the same day, fixes the machine in 20 minutes, and I am back in business washing clothes after coffee break! Not worth the effort of doing it yourself.

July 16, 2011 Flag

We run at least a load a day and this happens once every week or two. Pushing the button again is usually rewarded with a brief spin, but it can take a few tries before a normal cycle begins. I read a post here about a similar problem that was cured with a "$10 part" and would like more specific information or other suggestions, please?

By Jim

When I had this problem a few years ago, it was because the hose to drain the water was too low compared to the drum. It made it so the washer wouldn't spin and drain. Try checking: http://whirlpool.custhelp.com/app/a ... t-water,-wet-loads---top-load-washer

or

http://www.repairclinic.com/Washing ... ne-Troubleshooting?red=#itdoesntspin

If the belt is broken, it may be one that can be picked up at your local auto parts shop for about $10. Otherwise, it may be one of the other problems.

April 16, 2011 Flag

My Kenmore washer is making a loud noise on the spin cycle and not spinning. Any suggestions? Do I call repairman or is it junk? Thanks.

By Amy from Dayton, OH

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

I've posted this advice before, but not sure where it is archived.

Before you call a repairman or before you decide to trash it, find a friend that knows how to use a carpenter's level. Many of these machines start to malfunction simply because they become a little less than perfectly level. (Most have adjustable "feet" that can get a little out of whack merely by normal use.)

If it still doesn't work after levelness is confirmed I'd consider a repairman before trashing it, but I'd ask for and check out the references of any repair person before hiring!

I have another comment to share as I have "insider" information on this one (relatives in home building and renovation). They hate this fact, but are truthful with their clients; a lot of newer appliances, different brands and different models, just are not made to last. So, if your repairman tells you that you do need a new unit, assuming he's been well referenced as a reputable person, then you probably do need a new unit. Good luck. (11/29/2010)

By KansasCindy

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

Do you wash a lot of jeans or towels? if you run unbalanced loads you can break the transmission which is a very expensive repair. Look on youtube for information. Keep in mind, if it's already junk, you can tear it apart and try to fix it yourself. Good luck. (12/03/2010)

By femdyk

November 29, 2010 Flag

I have a Kenmore wash machine that doesn't spin. It washes, drains, and you can hear the spin cycle going, but it will not turn on its own. When it first happened I could manually start the spin by actually turning the barrel and then it would continue on its own, but now it will not turn at all. This happens with both spins on "all" cycles. Is this an easy fix? I don't know the year, as I bought it used, but do know it's not very old.

By RobertaF from Spokane, WA

Answers:

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

This has been asked and answered quite a few times. It is an easy fix, for a repair man. It is likely a small part that attaches to the motor, but what takes a repair person about 15 minutes will likely take the untrained 8 hours. Just call the repairman. (10/13/2010)

By louel53

Kenmore Washer Not Spinning

The first time this happened to my Kenmore I called a repair man and then I watched him do it. There is a part under the tub that is a 3 piece part. There is a three prong circle that fits into a piece of rubber and then another three prong circle that fits on top of the rubber. One of the circles was broken. The part is about 20$ to buy. I have fixed this part 3 times since the repair guy came. (10/14/2010)

By michele_kris

October 11, 2010 Flag

I have a Kenmore washer. The tub does not spin. The clutch is spinning below, but it does not engage the tub. Any answers?

August 29, 2010 Flag

I have a 110 series Kenmore washer. It will not spin. It has been suggested to check the pump. How do I get to it?

June 2, 2010 Flag

My washing machine does not spin, it is a 15 year old Kenmore. Can I fix it myself?

November 24, 2009 Flag

My Kenmore washing machine does not spin. The motor runs, but the basket does not move, it clicks.

July 2, 2009 Flag

My Kenmore washer is not spinning. You can hear the motor running, but it won't spin unless I start turning it first. All other cycles work okay.

June 26, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
washing machine
Washer Not Spinning Properly
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersApril 16, 2011
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Kenmore Refrigerator
Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling
Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer Not Spinning
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 10:33:52 PM on 10.0.2.96 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.