Saving Money on Yogurt

Tips and advice for saving money on yogurt as posted by the ThriftyFun community.

Buy On Sale

We buy Yoplait when it goes on sale 3 for 99 cents at the local grocery store. My husband takes those to work with is lunch. For my 5 year old and I, we buy the bigger Yoplait containers on sale and put them in our own 4 oz Gladware containers. 4 ounces is less than the single servings, so it stretches it that way too and usually 4 ounces is plenty for us.

Make Your Own Yogurt

It's very easy to make your own yogurt. You can buy a yogurt maker from Amazon for maybe $10. Then all you need is a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the milk.

By NatashaLee

Homemade Yogurt Without A Device

This is how I make my own yogurt: I pour some milk on top of the left over organic yogurt whose bacteria were alive. I close the container with a lid, ensuring there's air circulation under the lid. I leave it on the kitchen counter at (warm) room temperature. You can always keep some of the culture in a closed container on the shelves of your fridge's door. I use a ceramic pot with a lid to make my yogurt, since for some obscure reason, I've found out that it yields the best tasting yogurt.

Bon Apetit!

By ahuva

Editor's Note: Here are some ThriftyFun requests and articles on yogurt making. Be sure to check out the feedback too.

Do you have any tips for saving money on yogurt? Feel free to post your ideas below.

We buy Kroger brand when it's on sale and as seniors we get an additional 10% discount on any Kroger product. I stock up when it's on sale. I'm the only one here who eats it so it will last till the next sale.

Why buy a yogurt maker? Waste of money and electricity. Just get yourself a wide mouth thermos flask(which you can use for other things too). Boil the milk, let it cool till you can leave your little finger in it while counting to ten, put 1 or 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (nothing fancy, just long as its plain) mix and put in the flask. After 6 or 8 hours, pour it into a container with a lid (I use a Tupperware one but anything will do, long as its clean) put in the fridge and THATS IT! Been making my own yogurt like this for years!

Yoplait yogurt contains glycol which is one of the chemicals used to make

antifreeze. Yes, the same thing you use in your car.

Strawberry Yogurt
Saving Money on Yogurt
Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenMay 2, 2008
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk