Canning Tomato Pasta Sauce

I canned tomato based pasta sauce. I didn't put any lemon juice in it, is this OK? If not, can I open the jars, add the lemon juice and reprocess the jars?

By Berni in Mich from MI

Lemons usually are used for keeping colors from turning darker or give an aged appearance. As long as you know this about looks, you don't need to be concerned whether lemon is or isn't in your pasta sauce.

Thanks, Lorelei. I feel better about my pasta sauce now.

I am a home food preservation workshop presenter for the cooperative extension. I can tell you based on scientific research that bottled lemon juice is necessary due to the pH level of tomatoes which hovers around around the 4.6 level. When did you can the tomatoes? If it was within the last 24 hours, it is safe to re-process using 2 tbsp of bottled lemon juice per quart. If it has been longer,the product cannot be guaranteed to be safe. If you use them, you are risking botulism. For more information, contact you local cooperative extension for free help and advice.

Food and Recipes CanningSeptember 10, 2009
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries