StainsCleaning

Removing Tar From The Dryer

How do I remove tar from inside of the dryer?

By Tina from Waterford, MI

You can try baby oil and some elbow grease. I have been very lucky with gas though. You have to let your dryer air out for 24 hours after you use. Then I always do a load of rags before I dry anything else.

I just cleaned the tar out of my dryer. I came here and saw the posting about using cooking oil. I ran the dryer for several minutes to heat it. Using several paper towels and coconut oil (it's great because it does not smell), I attacked the surface.

For the most part it came off very easily. A few bigger clumps required some "mild" elbow grease. I did need to reheat the dryer once or twice as the tar comes off much easier when hot. The whole removal process took about 5 to 10 min. When finished, I just washed the oil off using hot water and laundry detergent.

On a side note: I had this happen to me several years ago and was advised to use gasoline. That did indeed work, but it was so smelly and required venting. It took quite a while for the fume smell to go away. Coconut oil was a dream come true!

Kelly

To get tar out of dryer walls, use mayonnaise. Rub mayonnaise on, let sit for 15 minutes then wipe off with a bit of elbow grease. It's the only trick that worked for me.

By Lori from Lancaster, PA

Answers:

Removing Tar From The Dryer

I used cooking oil to remove tar from my dryer. I ran the dryer for a few minutes to warm it. Then I rubbed the spots with a rag dipped in cooking oil. The tar came off quite easily. (07/30/2008)

By Evelyn

Removing Tar From The Dryer

Toothpaste worked for me. I used a non scratch scouring pad and a little non gel (old fashioned white) toothpaste and the tar came right off. (04/06/2009)

By raw1905

How do I get hot oil tar out of clothes and dryer?

devourer45

Answers:

Removing tar From Clothing and the Dryer

Try using De-Solv-It or Goo Gone. These can be purchased at Wal/Mart. Works very well. (11/07/2004)

By dani

Try kerosene. It works great for getting tar off of the car. Just put some on a rag and clean the spot. Then rinse well (this is very important for the dryer). You would need to wait to use the dryer until the fumes are gone. (11/08/2004)

By Joan-Wy.

we tried polish remover, will try Kerosene and let you know, thanks. (12/27/2004)

By John

I tried goo-gone it didn't work for me to get it off clothes. (04/30/2007)

By Meghann