EmploymentBudget & Finance

Faxing My Resume to Employers

I'm currently looking for a job and keep finding job postings that say FAX RESUME TO: and no other information. Does anyone know a way of tracing a fax number to its origin? I am nervous about sending my info without further information. Googling didn't work.

Thank you,
Janet from New York City

Janet, perhaps you can use a "reverse number" lookup to find who owns the fax or phone number. I think you can do that on AT&T online directory at the bottom of the page. I hope this helps. http://www.att.com/directory/

you can also try www.reversephonedirectory.com

I have been in this same situation. I didn't have any luck finding the company using reverse phone lookup, but I did find several by doing an internet search using the full fax number and city where business is located.

Thank you guys. I'll check those websites.

When faxing your resume, instead of sending your Social Security Number I would just put, "Due to so much identity theft my Social Security number will be provided upon employment." If that's not acceptable, then you really don't want to work for those people. Good Luck!

I'm in HR and we use a fax number only when we expect the response to be so overwhelming that my office would not be able to handle the phone calls and walk in traffic. When responding to such an ad, however, I would never give my address until I know who is going to get it and these days an email or cell phone is less traceable to an address than a land phone. Never give your social security number out until an offer of employment has been made.

Your SSN should never be on your resume. It should only be provided upon acceptance of a job offer. I think I'd be cautious sending a resume to a fax number and you don't have a company name.