Get Rid of Extra Stuff in Home

One thing I noticed in a movie based in Iceland that I just saw, is that there was a noticeable lack of extra STUFF in their homes and other places. We as Americans have so much extra stuff, but I am trying to use that vision of a stripped-down environment to inspire me. That has helped me as I am clearing out my apartment and the rest of my life - I have so much to donate. And it's a good feeling that I can contribute somehow without putting out extra cash.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

What is the link to the Iceland site? I'd like to forward it to, some people to encourage recycling/and/donating. Thanks.

Good for you! We are going to be doing some serious decluttering this weekend. I told hubby that I am not going to see about a land/home package next tax season if I have to pack a bunch of boxes filled with things we did not even remember that we had in the first place. I gave him the deadline of this year to help me, or we wll stay in this annoying place another year. I wish I could get an impartial third party to help, though. Someone who can give me 'that look' when I am teetering on wanting to keep something for sentimental reason, not practical. And to give it to my husband for almost everything he has that has 'star wars' or 'indiana jones' written on it, lol.

Hopefully, we'll be seriously decluttered by New Year's day

We drastically simplified and did some decluttering after my vision loss. Fewer things to knock over is a good thing, lol!

My husband and I sold our 3-bedroom home and moved into a 2-bedroom apartment. We had a one story ranch home with an antique kitchen set and antique living room furniture.

We made an appointment with an antique appraiser who had an auction house. He came out to our home and gave us an appraisal. About a week later, two young guys showed up and carried our furniture out the front door and loaded it into a small van. We took a financial loss when it was auctioned off, but we were glad just to get rid of it.

There was a widow who lived across the street and one next door to us. I know they were watching while the furniture was carried out of the house. The women were nice but they had a tendency of being busybodies at times, nothing to do constructively but watch the neighbors. This all happened before a real estate sign was posted in our front yard, so they must have thought that we were going through a separation, then a divorce.

My husband and I love each another and just celebrated our 42nd wedding anniversary on June 15th.

The point that I wanted to make is that we are happier now living in an apartment than a house. We have less stuff in our lives and we know that we can't take it with us when we die.

No one has ever seen a U-Haul behind a hearse!

Comment

Garage Full of Boxes and Clutter
Getting Rid of Clutter
Better Living Simple LivingJuly 1, 2010
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 12:44:40 AM on 10.0.0.200 in 603 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.