Buying a Small Commercial Range

Does anyone have any advice about buying a small, 36 inch commercial range? What are the best brands? Any tips for getting a good deal?

Thanks!

By Lewis from Port Orchard, WA

Best Answer

Guess I will reply since I have done some research. The key for restaurant use is to get something that is approved for commercial use by your local health department, that will require NSF or ETL certification. You can google those to find out more about those certifications.

The key thing to keep in mind when pricing commercial ranges is that the range isn't necessarily the most expensive part. All ranges will require a hood with fire suppression and ventilation. Those hood/systems cost as much as $3000 a foot according to one estimate, which is I believe was a steep estimate. The hood is required to be atleast 6 inches bigger than cooking equipment you are using on every side. So a 3' range would need a 4'x3' hood. According to the estimate i got, that hood could cost anywhere from 10k to 12k installed.

So you can get quality range for 1500 to 2000 used or a new one from 3000 to 5000, the hood will cost a lot more than the range. That's why it can be pretty expensive for restaurants to add equipment once their hood is in place.

I am not sure if you're looking for home use but if that's the case these links might help you, Lewis :-)

http://www.projo.com/home/content/l ... es_03-07-10_LCHGGD7_v12.1aa078c.html

http://www.thathomesite.com/faq/lists/appl/2004064556019303.html

Also, I think commercial ranges are gas instead of electric?

Thanks deeli, looking for gas and it's for commercial use. It's surprising how sparse good review sites are on the net. Thanks for the links!

Depends on what you use it for. If you can you cannot buy the glass top ones. (I have heard horror stories about them anyway.) Buy a good name brand and get insurance on it. Some of the better brands, Whirlpool, Frigidaire etc are what most people go for because they are dependable. You could buy a GE and it may work fine for you. I don't recommend the glass top stoves though and definitely not black. It always looks dirty!

Good Luck!

Consumer Advice Product FinderMay 24, 2010
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaner Ingredients
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaners
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
Range Hood Filter
Cleaning a Range Hood Filter
🎄
🍂