Rats In My Backyard

How do I get rid of rats in my backyard?

Hi John. Rats like most of us are looking for shelter and food, so first, make sure there are no food scraps around and that rubbish bins are tightly sealed. Clean up any junk.. old piles of lumber, tin, or anything they can make a nest under. You could get cats or a rat terrier.. presuming you don't have these already. Be careful with baits, epsecially if you have pets of your own, or neighbours pets get access to your yard. If it's really desperate call a professional!

Short of laying traps or calling an exterminator, get a cat or two. It will make a big difference.

Hi John,

I had this problem a year ago and now they're gone. If you feed the birds, make sure to clean up under the feeders every day and make sure no food or garbage is near any of your outside walls. Rats will travel along a wall to find food. Make sure not to put out poison that any other animal, bird, or child can get to. If you have a crawlspace, there are rat traps with bait that can be placed underneath. I think it's best to use a professional service for this to do it safely. Insist on a product that doesn't poison other animals or hawks secondarily - it is available. Within one week, I found dead rats after doing this. Good luck with getting rid of the rats!

Do not ever think a cat is a match for a rat. Maybe a tiny field mouse but check with your Humane Society to see the damage a rat can do to a cat.

Call the exterminator, they will rid your yard of those pests, they did mine and I live near the river and close to many restaurants. After the exterminator's visit, the rat has not been back.

Northern Virginia

A brown rat outside.
Dealing With Rats Outside Your House
Home and Garden Pest Control RatsFebruary 26, 2007
grey rat
Homemade Rat Bait Ideas
Burning brush in a backyard.
Alternatives to Backyard Burning
Backyard Campout
Planning a Backyard Campout
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons