What is the Best Food for a Large Dog?

I just adopted a new big dog and wonder what is the best kind of dog food to purchase? Any ideas of what keeps your favorite dogs happy?

By Mary from Malad, ID

There is not one perfect food for large dogs. I work in the pet food industry and suggest you search for dog foods online and compare the ingredients to find the one you think will be best for your dog. One other suggestion is to avoid any food with corn meal or any other form of corn as it is hard for dogs to digest. I don't want to name companies here but if you contact me I would be glad to give you some suggestions for different brands that I believe are good for you to try. I actually have a large dog.

First off does your dog have any issues that you know of, allergies, sensitive skin & stomach, arthritis, hip dysplasia. His age (if known) either way you go you want to get a dog food that is natural, no meat by-products, corn, soy, wheat and a food that is for large breed dogs.

Our vet recommended Hill's Science Dog food. Been using it and NutraPet for about 4 years now. In an emergency, or if we can't get out to the pet food store, we'll get something else. Notice the protein content and ingredients. If you decide to purchase other brands, have the Hill's label handy and see what the other brands offer. Unpleasant surprise for the most part.

The less expensive dog foods have a lot of filler, which means more large dog poops all over your lawn and less doggie nutrition. Hill's will be more digested, leaving smaller residue. When I say, 'expensive,' Hill's does cost a little more, but, it's not prohibitively expensive. Perhaps I should say, "high quality".

Hi Mary, We have 3 great danes and have researched a lot of dog foods. Hills science diet is a good dog food we used it many years ago but it has a lot of corn in it and that isn't a good thing for big dogs. I don't understand why they use corn even in the large breed. Bloat is a big worry with anything that causes gas in large breeds.

as I said I did alot of research & talked to alot of Companies that make the foods. Check out Blue Buffalo large breed. it is a holistic dog food that has excellent ingredients & no by products. It works great for our babies, just find something that you are comfortable with after comparing the ingredients.

Best of luck to you & your new big baby.

We have a 200 lbs mastiff. She gets flaky skin on the cheap stuff like beniful. I can tell it doesn't provide the right nutrition her body needs. We use Nutro large breed. Our dog is picky she will eat this stuff right away. Also I find she is not pooping a thousand times a day like on science diet. I think its okay to mix around every once in a while and see what works best. I say buy small bags first. If your dog is the least bit picky you don't want a $50 + bag of food going to waste.

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 8, 2011
Best Dog Food for Chihuahuas
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group