Puppy is Peeing on Bed Ruffle

My dog is in a crate during the day and we have a puppy door so he can go out to the bathroom. However if there is a bag on the floor or a bed ruffle around the bed he will hike his leg and pee every time. Is there anything I can do to break this habit?

By Scrappy5 from CA

Here is a very detailed site on housebreaking....I learned a lot of things here that really work well.

There are places to go in this site that answer other questions pertinent to your question. Robyn

Keeping a dog caged isn't training or any kind of quality life. It also creates way more behaviour problems than owners believe it will control.

You didn't say that your dog has been neutered. That will make eliminating marking inside your home much, much easier if you get it done asap.

The best thing anyone can do for house training is completely regular feeding schedules and walks. 30-45 min jogs/fast walks w/ their dogs twice a day after the main meals everday will kick 95% of any house training problems people have. Mix in plenty of quick pee walks that are at least 5-10 mins long and you're done. It really is that simple but there is no lazy method of house training or dog care. You have to get up and go with them and it has to be at least abrisk walk. Jogging ia far better for both of you but a slow stroll doesn't do either of you much good.

Letting a dog into a fenced area is NOT exercising or mentally stimulating them. Walking with your dog is about more than the exercise. It's all the sights, sounds and smells that your dog needs daily. The more new places your dog goes, the more they mark and drain their bladders.

I get up early and do at least 45 mins- 1 hour before I even shower or have breakfast. After their second meal when I get home; we do another super long jog/walk. The pee breaks come in between. My dogs are also between 13-17 years old. Imagine how much more exercise a puppy needs to be happy and healthy.

For a dog that is caged all day long; running is absolutely essential to their health and good behaviour. Tired dogs are happy dogs who sleep. Caged dogs have tons of excess energy and frustration to burn off anyway they can.

How bored would you be if you went from one cage to an outdoor pen without fail every day of your existence? It would be as if you walked 10 feet out your front door into a blank room and worked alone until you were able to walk home alone again. How happy would you be? You'd be dying for any kind of change in your job until you could get the heck out of there.

Good luck.

For animals who go back time & time again to the same spot because it smells like pee, you can try washing it with vinegar in the rinse water to remove the scent.

But an easy idea is to get some goggles & spray the ruffle with pepper spray... Make your own but soaking cayenne pepper or crushed dried hot peppers in half rubbing alcohol & half boiling or hot water then leave this sit in a jar with a lid & shake daily for 1 or 2 weeks. Lastly, strain & pour into a well-marked spray bottle & wash your hands!

Now spray this on to anywhere he pees. This pepper spray works especially good for animals that get into garbage can, dig up gardens, or attack Christmas trees. It won't hurt them, it might make him sneeze if he sniffs it.

ALSO, pet stores & Walmart sell a spray to keep animals from attacking furniture. I think it's made from eucalyptus or something like that. He's fixed isn't he! If not, that may be the problem, marking his "territory", I know dogs are different from cats, but my cat peed EVERYWHERE before he was fixed. (Thankfully he didn't live with me then, but he sure attacked my daughters porch & everything on it!)

PS. My cat also likes to pee on bags, be they paper OR plastic, he's an equal opportunity pee-er! <*rin*> We remedied our situation by getting another cat box... one in the kitchen, thankfully he almost never uses it!

Have you tried those "potty-pads" for dogs, they are supposed to have a scent that dogs like which makes them want to pee there. Maybe when the weather is nicer you can leave him outside in a nice fenced-in shaded kennel. They sell Kennel covers for around $80 at Fred Myers. Dogs do crazy things when they are frustrated. He needs to be walked for 40 minutes a day in a structured way. This will help him mentally & physically. If you can't do it, hire someone.

Pets Dogs House TrainingApril 13, 2009
puppy in crate
Puppy Pees in Crate
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
multicolored scarf
Making a Crocheted Ruffle Scarf
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper