Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Rosa Marina Fruit Salad

This is ambrosia with a twist. Everyone loves it. I only make it for special occasions!

• 3/4 cup Rosa Marina Pasta (small orzo)
  • 2 (1 lb.) cans chunk pineapple
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 lg. can fruit cocktail
  • 2 cans mandarin orange sections
  • 1 jar maraschino cherries
  • 8 or 10 oz. container Cool Whip

Directions:

Do this at least a day before you want to serve it.

Cook pasta until done. Drain well and set aside. Cut pineapple chunks into smaller pieces; drain juice into a saucepan. Add egg, flour, and sugar to the juice. Cook and stir until it thickens. Pour over the pasta, mix together and refrigerate.

Drain the fruit cocktail and place layers of it between paper toweling to soak up excess liquid. Cut the mandarin orange sections in half and do the same. Cut the cherries in half and also layer them between paper towels. Do the same to the pineapple chunks.

It's important that the fruit is well-drained and you will need to replace the paper towels with new ones. I use lidded containers so I can flip them over. Refrigerate until the next day (or longer).

When fruit is sufficiently drained of juices, combine the pasta mixture with the pineapple, fruit cocktail, cherries, and mandarin oranges. Fold in container of Cool Whip and chill for several hours or overnight.

I usually give myself two or three days to make this salad and change the paper toweling 2 or 3 times.

Servings: 10
Time:2 Days Preparation Time
5 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My Aunt Catherine - a wonderful cook!

By Anne from Washington Twp., NJ

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Rosa Marina Salad (or Dessert)

This salad makes a lot.

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • Juice from 2 16 oz. cans crushed pineapple
  • Juice from 2 16 oz cans mandarin oranges*
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 lb. Rosa Marina macaroni
  • 2 10 oz. Cool Whip
*You can also add 2 jars maraschino cherries, halved. Do drain but do not use the juice. If you would like, you can use fruit cocktail instead of pineapples and oranges.

Directions

In a saucepan, mix first five ingredients. Bring to boil, cook until thick.

Cook macaroni. Drain and rinse. Cover and chill overnight. In another bowl, chill the mixture of pineapples and oranges, cover also.

Next day, fold in pineapple, oranges and cherries and macaroni then add Cool Whip. Place mixture in a fancy bowl or 13x2 inch pan. Keep chilled and covered.

By Dar from Fairview, PA