Keeping Mice Out of Your Home

Mice often come into our homes to find food and warmth; keeping them out requires some persistence on your part. This is a guide about keeping mice out of your home.

metal mouse trap
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2010 Flag

I moved into a new construction 3 years ago. Since then, I've been having problems with mice. I'm not sure where they are coming from. I make sure doors are closed because there is construction around the area where I live and I know rodents tend to roam those areas. Despite of my efforts, I keep on finding mice droppings.

At first, I would find droppings inside my cabinets. Since there is no food in any of my lower cabinets, the mice are now outside in my kitchen area.

I've used traps and just this year I've caught 4. Where could they be coming from and more importantly how can I make sure they stop coming in?

By Ponce from Chicago, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to amazon.com they have a good variety of easy, inexpensive, non-toxic, humane mouse catchers.

Moth balls! We throw them under the house, just enough that they don't smell inside the house and must be done about once a month. We also throw them around the footing of the outside of the house. Moth balls also deters snakes, bugs, ants and such. My husband also put a little of the spray foam in the holes around our pipes, then put in steel wool and sprayed more foam on it as well. We haven't had a mice, rat or anything since we did this.

Read More Answers...

January 11, 2013 Flag

The house next door to us was empty for about 3 years, while the bank that foreclosed on it and renovated it back to habitability. There must have been about 20 people living there at one point. Thankfully, a lovely young couple with two small children, bought the house. The bank, also must have hired an exterminator, prior to putting the home up for sale, and the mice that must have been living in an empty quiet house, have decided to move into "our" house. We can not afford the expense of an exterminator. My husband has set traps, but I think the problem is bigger than just setting a dozen or so mouse traps. I have two dogs and am reluctant to put out poison. Any suggestions? I would prefer to just humanely make them go away, as opposed to killing them, but will consider all suggestions.

By Kathleen

Go to Lehmans.com You can either order a catalog or buy on-line. For $17.95 they have a "Tin Cat Mouse Trap" it holds up to 20 live mice. You can then take them to the country far away from your house to release. For the same price they have "Fresh Cab Natural Rodent Repellant. It has the oder of Balsam fir and mice can't stand the smell and leave. It is not harmful to children or pets.

Check site for Riddex, it is something you plug in and somehow its electronic rays repel the mice. I don't remember the cost but it was cheaper than an exterminator and safe for my pets and children. I have one upstairs and one downstairs and, knock wood.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2012 Flag

Is there anything you can put around your house outside to prevent mice in a old home?

By Bev

I had the same problem as I live in a new modular home. What I did was to take" steel woodL" and put it around all my water pipes inside my house or any where they already had made an entrance. I have hadn't had anymore problem's with mice. A box of steel wool goes a long and is not that expensive.

I'm voting for a cat or two. And my wanton killer is a male. It just depends on the cat's temperment and skill!

Read More Answers...

February 21, 2012 Flag

Will moth balls help get rid of mice? My cat is too large to get in the space where the mice are getting in behind my cabinets. I could drop moth balls down there. Maybe the smell of the balls would deter the mice.

By LAL

Years ago, I read in Mother Earth News that mice and rats have a one way digestive system, so they can't burp.

They suggested putting a lid of soda down and they will drink and go away and stop annoying you. I have also read on Diggs that if you mix baking soda half and half with a cake mix, then sprinkle it around the inside and outside of the "entry ways" it works like a charm. Worth a try, right?

The other posters are right, they don't bother with things that they can't eat. They don't have good eyesight so they feel their way along walls and baseboards by their whiskers.

And you can put it other places where your cat can get to, without any risk.

I hope this helps.

Moth balls are poisonous to everything (including you) and have a terrible smell. They are just as bad as mice, really, in my opinion. Do not use them.

Read More Answers...

December 4, 2013 Flag

Do the Pest Offense plug-ins keep mice and rats out?

By Meka

They do work, but there are a couple of concerns. One, if you have hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, etc, they will be driven to distraction to the sound. Also, we stayed in a cabin with one, and were forced to unplug it. Our daughter could hear it, and it made her miserable. She can also hear deer whistles while driving. Hope this helps!

Save your money and electricity. They do not work.

March 18, 2012 Flag

I had my Kenmore Elite refrigerator (with interior water dispenser) in the garage at the house I am renting (I had to use their frig) for the past two years. I will be moving and was cleaning up the frig again and found that mice/rats had built nests in the bottom of the frig.

I cleaned up what I can reach after removing the lower back plastic panel where the vents are, but I am scared it isn't safe or sanitary to use anymore. I am not sure where the air is being pulled in to cool the interior and if it is pulling from where they lived since I could not reach all of the interior of the frig, then I don't think it is safe. Also, they could have possibly chewed on wires so I don't know if it is now a possible fire hazard. Please advise whether or not the frig is safe to use. Thank you.

By Annie

Why not have Sears serviceman come and check it out? I think it would probably be fine, but you might sleep better if you have the wiring looked at.

If you have not plugged it in yet, please don't. Chewed wiring can blow a circuit or pop the breakers at the least.

If you have to, at least plug it into a wall that the circuit has been flipped off. Then, flip the breaker so you are not holding the cord or close to it. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

March 7, 2013 Flag

I want to know why mice are digging in my houseplants? I have had houseplants for last 30 years, but never had mice in my home. I live in a mobile home and have 2 dogs. I want to rid my home of these little creatures without killing my plants. What can I put in my plants? I did find the hole they came in and closed it off. What can you suggest? Help.

By Ann

One of the easiest (and safest for your pets) ways to keep mice out of places is to place unused fabric softener sheets in the area. You can use a spring-type clothespin to hook it on the side of the pot. Don't let the sheet come in contact with the soil. You really only want the fragrance and the stronger the fragrance the better.

Since you have found the hole they are entering from and sealed that off you shouldn't have more coming into your home. You may, however, have some still in the house with no way to escape. Putting out a small live trap is the most humane way to trap the mice and release them outside.

Please, please do not use any of the mouse poisons or glue traps. If you use the mouse poison and your dog ate the mouse it could also die. I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and mouse/rat poisons (like DeCon) kill a great many owls, hawks, raccoons, opossums, dogs and cats after they eat a poisoned rodent. The glue traps are just totally barbaric and make the animal suffer. As to the live traps you may be able to borrow one.

Hello!

Digging to eat the roots is more the doing of fieldmouse or of voles than mice. Usualy they do not come into the houses unless they are trapped in or if they are very hungry!

Oil castor plant products are very good repellents but you should take advice to find the right product to use indoor without danger for your dogs. Sorry for the details but if it is a mouse, and specially in a mobilhome, it leaves behind a tipical smell that you would have noticed.

I could not agree more with Lilly who's advising you not to use poison, for the sake of your dogs and also because fieldmouse is one of the cutest intelligent and funny animal to watch. I do realize that this is not a thing to say to garden lovers ! although most of the time, gardeners blame on the fieldmouse what is in fact done by voles. Cheer up ! once back in its natural place close to your mobilhome and not inside, your fieldmouse will help you get rid of snails and catterpillars.

Hope this helps!

November 22, 2012 Flag

How can you keep mice from getting in your kitchen drawers?

By mandy87

I use dryer sheets in every drawer and closet in our travel trailer, no mice.

Get an inside cat. We have not had mice in years.

July 25, 2006 Flag

I have accidently stumbled on a way to keep those 4 legged kritters out from under your cupboards. We live in the country and sometimes have a problem with mice getting into the house. They seem to love my lower cupboards (even with 4 cats) and I find traces of them.

I accidently left a potpourri toilet bowl deodorizer under the cupboards. No mice! It was still in the wrapper and not opened, but, they stopped getting into my cupboards! I now hang one on the rails on the sides of the braces that hold the shelves. This way they are not touching your pots and pans that you keep there. (I would not reccomend this where there are food products.)

By Joyce from Decaturville, TN

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 17, 2012 Flag

How do you keep mice out of a house which is currently vacant and for sale?

By Tray C. from Nova Scotia

Moth balls scattered about, esp. along wall where mice like to run will discourage them. Mice do not like to venture far from walls. It would be best if you can find where they are coming in and put the moth balls there. Good luck.

We owned and operated a seasonal fishing camp/resort out in the bush. Our cabins, lodge and washroom facilities were basic & simple. It was a summer business. In the fall we closed down, and in came the mice, although we lived year round on site with 5 cats! I tried everything to protect the cabins, house, etc. from the mice! Now you cannot mouse proof over 11 acres of resort out in the bush, can you? Thanks to a old timer bush man we did.

You may laugh out loud at his wisdom on getting rid of mice or other rodents, when you think about how his bush man solution works out in the boonies, with seasonal cabins, a lodge, workshop, garage and our house.

Here it is, and it worked like a charm for us. It is to feed them Exlax... super strength if you can. Rodents love Exlax! We placed it outside & inside. If we thought a cat or dog could get at it, we covered it so that only a rodent could get in and eat it. Even if a bigger animal did get it, it wasn't deadly.

The old bush man told us. Rodents are smaller, their digestive systems are smaller. A little Exlax goes a long way! Rodents live in communities or families. If one gets sick in "home space". They learn fast and leave for a safer environment.

A mouse/ any rodent loves the chocolate wax like bar of Exlax! Add peanut butter to the bars if you like. It is "Dairy Queen Deluxe" for rodents. Once the word is out among fellow rodents about the "after effects" of the food supplied, they leave the area for healthier food, as well as, communicate and smell the

"Gastric Distress and Results" of the afflicted Exlax filled rodent to the community!

We thought it was crazy until it worked. The mice were gone and we were trouble free for over 5 years! Easy and Inexpensive! Yes, some rodents had diarrhea as they packed up and left, but we never smelled it. Anyway this worked for us up until we sold the resort and moved!

PS - As it looks and tastes like chocolate, DO NOT put where kids, adults or pets may eat it! You know what will happen with Exlax! Good luck and happy rodent free spaces!

Copied from thrifty fun and have been mouse free since using it. I used this first in 2010 and knock on wood haven't had a mouse since in the house.

August 23, 2011 Flag

Who can seal the perimeter of my home/ I'm having problems with mice. Orkin suggested I get it done so I can keep the mice out.

By Margaret

A good cat or a black snake will keep the mice out. For sealing your home talk to a structure specialist. Ask a construction company if they can recommend anyone. Ask your friends or church members if they know any construction companies that are helpful, and wouldn't mind talking to someone wanting advise.

Cats do not keep mice away. A good exterminator will seal your home to where they cannot enter.

April 24, 2013 Flag

How can I buy peppermint oil spray to use to get rid mice in my home?

By Vivian E

Just buy peppermint oil and add a few drops of it to a spray bottle of water.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceFebruary 28, 2012
Felt Mouse
Making Felt or Fabric Mice
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Mouse in Kitchen
Keeping Mice out of Appliances
mouse in the kitchen
Getting Rid of Mice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:54:41 AM on 10.0.2.245 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.