Keeping Mice Out of Your Home

Mice often come into our homes to find food and warmth; keeping them out requires some persistence on your part. This is a guide about keeping mice out of your home.

metal mouse trap
Filter Sort

Question: Mice in the House

By KMcCoop 5 7

The house next door to us was empty for about 3 years, while the bank that foreclosed on it and renovated it back to habitability. There must have been about 20 people living there at one point. Thankfully, a lovely young couple with two small children, bought the house. The bank, also must have hired an exterminator, prior to putting the home up for sale, and the mice that must have been living in an empty quiet house, have decided to move into "our" house. We can not afford the expense of an exterminator. My husband has set traps, but I think the problem is bigger than just setting a dozen or so mouse traps. I have two dogs and am reluctant to put out poison. Any suggestions? I would prefer to just humanely make them go away, as opposed to killing them, but will consider all suggestions.

By Kathleen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By karenlynn 3 32 Flag

Check site for Riddex, it is something you plug in and somehow its electronic rays repel the mice. I don't remember the cost but it was cheaper than an exterminator and safe for my pets and children. I have one upstairs and one downstairs and, knock wood.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Mice Out of My House

By ponce 1

I moved into a new construction 3 years ago. Since then, I've been having problems with mice. I'm not sure where they are coming from. I make sure doors are closed because there is construction around the area where I live and I know rodents tend to roam those areas. Despite of my efforts, I keep on finding mice droppings.

At first, I would find droppings inside my cabinets. Since there is no food in any of my lower cabinets, the mice are now outside in my kitchen area.

I've used traps and just this year I've caught 4. Where could they be coming from and more importantly how can I make sure they stop coming in?

By Ponce from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sheila 3 162 Flag

Moth balls! We throw them under the house, just enough that they don't smell inside the house and must be done about once a month. We also throw them around the footing of the outside of the house. Moth balls also deters snakes, bugs, ants and such. My husband also put a little of the spray foam in the holes around our pipes, then put in steel wool and sprayed more foam on it as well. We haven't had a mice, rat or anything since we did this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Mice Out of the House

Is there anything you can put around your house outside to prevent mice in a old home?

By Bev

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I'm voting for a cat or two. And my wanton killer is a male. It just depends on the cat's temperment and skill!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Eliminating Mice

Will moth balls help get rid of mice? My cat is too large to get in the space where the mice are getting in behind my cabinets. I could drop moth balls down there. Maybe the smell of the balls would deter the mice.

By LAL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Moth balls are poisonous to everything (including you) and have a terrible smell. They are just as bad as mice, really, in my opinion. Do not use them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Mice Don't Like Potpourri Toilet Deodorizers

By Joyce 4 32

I have accidently stumbled on a way to keep those 4 legged kritters out from under your cupboards. We live in the country and sometimes have a problem with mice getting into the house. They seem to love my lower cupboards (even with 4 cats) and I find traces of them.

I accidently left a potpourri toilet bowl deodorizer under the cupboards. No mice! It was still in the wrapper and not opened, but, they stopped getting into my cupboards! I now hang one on the rails on the sides of the braces that hold the shelves. This way they are not touching your pots and pans that you keep there. (I would not reccomend this where there are food products.)

By Joyce from Decaturville, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mice Nested in Refrigerator

I had my Kenmore Elite refrigerator (with interior water dispenser) in the garage at the house I am renting (I had to use their frig) for the past two years. I will be moving and was cleaning up the frig again and found that mice/rats had built nests in the bottom of the frig.

I cleaned up what I can reach after removing the lower back plastic panel where the vents are, but I am scared it isn't safe or sanitary to use anymore. I am not sure where the air is being pulled in to cool the interior and if it is pulling from where they lived since I could not reach all of the interior of the frig, then I don't think it is safe. Also, they could have possibly chewed on wires so I don't know if it is now a possible fire hazard. Please advise whether or not the frig is safe to use. Thank you.

By Annie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,131 Flag

If you have not plugged it in yet, please don't. Chewed wiring can blow a circuit or pop the breakers at the least.

If you have to, at least plug it into a wall that the circuit has been flipped off. Then, flip the breaker so you are not holding the cord or close to it. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rulers Keep Mice and Roaches out of Cupboards

By Cyinda 214 1,287

We were so disgusted when we found a mouse had made his way into our kitchen cupboards. We found a half inch space along the bottom of the cupboard doors where the nasty little mouse made his way in. I knew I needed molding or something to cover that space, but needed something right then (in the middle of the night) that wouldn't be an eyesore. What ended up working perfectly were several clear plastic rulers I had bought (3 for $1) at a dollar store. They were JUST the right size and shape and had holes already drilled in them. I could have screwed them on, but instead I hot glued them to the bottom of the cupboard where the door meets the cabinet box and this worked just fine! Now those nasty creatures can't make their way into my cupboards and eat my cereal!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using the Pest Offense Plug-in for Mice

Do the Pest Offense plug-ins keep mice and rats out?

By Meka

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Krista Shackleford 3 80 Flag

Save your money and electricity. They do not work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mice Eating Houseplants

I want to know why mice are digging in my houseplants? I have had houseplants for last 30 years, but never had mice in my home. I live in a mobile home and have 2 dogs. I want to rid my home of these little creatures without killing my plants. What can I put in my plants? I did find the hole they came in and closed it off. What can you suggest? Help.

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Catherine 7 153 Flag

Hello!

Digging to eat the roots is more the doing of fieldmouse or of voles than mice. Usualy they do not come into the houses unless they are trapped in or if they are very hungry!

Oil castor plant products are very good repellents but you should take advice to find the right product to use indoor without danger for your dogs. Sorry for the details but if it is a mouse, and specially in a mobilhome, it leaves behind a tipical smell that you would have noticed.

I could not agree more with Lilly who's advising you not to use poison, for the sake of your dogs and also because fieldmouse is one of the cutest intelligent and funny animal to watch. I do realize that this is not a thing to say to garden lovers ! although most of the time, gardeners blame on the fieldmouse what is in fact done by voles. Cheer up ! once back in its natural place close to your mobilhome and not inside, your fieldmouse will help you get rid of snails and catterpillars.

Hope this helps!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Mice Out of the Kitchen Drawers

How can you keep mice from getting in your kitchen drawers?

By mandy87

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

December 4, 2012 Flag

Get an inside cat. We have not had mice in years.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repelling Mice

How do you keep mice out of a house which is currently vacant and for sale?

By Tray C. from Nova Scotia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By michele 7 16 Flag

We owned and operated a seasonal fishing camp/resort out in the bush. Our cabins, lodge and washroom facilities were basic & simple. It was a summer business. In the fall we closed down, and in came the mice, although we lived year round on site with 5 cats! I tried everything to protect the cabins, house, etc. from the mice! Now you cannot mouse proof over 11 acres of resort out in the bush, can you? Thanks to a old timer bush man we did.

You may laugh out loud at his wisdom on getting rid of mice or other rodents, when you think about how his bush man solution works out in the boonies, with seasonal cabins, a lodge, workshop, garage and our house.

Here it is, and it worked like a charm for us. It is to feed them Exlax... super strength if you can. Rodents love Exlax! We placed it outside & inside. If we thought a cat or dog could get at it, we covered it so that only a rodent could get in and eat it. Even if a bigger animal did get it, it wasn't deadly.

The old bush man told us. Rodents are smaller, their digestive systems are smaller. A little Exlax goes a long way! Rodents live in communities or families. If one gets sick in "home space". They learn fast and leave for a safer environment.

A mouse/ any rodent loves the chocolate wax like bar of Exlax! Add peanut butter to the bars if you like. It is "Dairy Queen Deluxe" for rodents. Once the word is out among fellow rodents about the "after effects" of the food supplied, they leave the area for healthier food, as well as, communicate and smell the

"Gastric Distress and Results" of the afflicted Exlax filled rodent to the community!

We thought it was crazy until it worked. The mice were gone and we were trouble free for over 5 years! Easy and Inexpensive! Yes, some rodents had diarrhea as they packed up and left, but we never smelled it. Anyway this worked for us up until we sold the resort and moved!

PS - As it looks and tastes like chocolate, DO NOT put where kids, adults or pets may eat it! You know what will happen with Exlax! Good luck and happy rodent free spaces!

Copied from thrifty fun and have been mouse free since using it. I used this first in 2010 and knock on wood haven't had a mouse since in the house.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Mice Out of Your Home

Who can seal the perimeter of my home/ I'm having problems with mice. Orkin suggested I get it done so I can keep the mice out.

By Margaret

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jennifer Nelson 1 314 Flag

Cats do not keep mice away. A good exterminator will seal your home to where they cannot enter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Peppermint Oil Spray for Mice in My Home

How can I buy peppermint oil spray to use to get rid mice in my home?

By Vivian E

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Maryeileen 76 1,143 Flag

Just buy peppermint oil and add a few drops of it to a spray bottle of water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Will Limestone Around House Foundation Keep Mice Away?

By Chels 1

I heard that packing limestone around the base of your house will keep mice away (apparently they don't like the limestone). Is that true?

By Chels from Winnipeg, Maintoba, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Becca J 2 28 Flag

No.

Crushed limestone is typically used in some areas to create a drainage field around the house. Believe me: it doesn't do anything to prevent mice. Due diligence is the only thing that works. That means keeping things clean, in good repair, and trapping/killing the varmits. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Keeping Mice Out of My House

Does anyone have an idea on how to stop mice from entering an older house? We put steel wool around the places where the pipes come in. They are also in the attic and can hear them gnawing away at night.

Marilyn from Ashcroft, B.C.

Feedback:

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

If you have a hard time setting a trap, there are those humane traps that traps them live and you can relocate them elsewhere away from your home.

You may try calling your local SPCA and they may have ones that you can rent. Most have the cat and dog traps and you are not always required to turn the animal in to the pound. If not, they may have suggestions for you. (05/24/2004)

By Princess Frogee

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Try getting a plug-in device like "Pest Offense" if you do not have pets smaller than a gerbil, and all critters will find a way out of your walls and home, including ants and roaches, etc. (05/25/2004)

By Joy

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Get a large bucket, like they have pickles in at fast food restaurants. Ask for one, they might charge a buck. Put a piece of bread with peanut butter in the bucket, and set it next to your counter. You might have to put some game boards on the sides with just a 1 inch opening in the center, I had to do it that way once with a large mouse. A normal sized mouse won't be able to jump out.

When you catch the mouse, just carry it well away from the house and let it loose. I've done this many times.

Jeneene (05/25/2004)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Mice do not like the smell of peppermint. Put some on cottonballs and pitch in the drawers, basement, or anywhere you think or see mouse evidence.
(05/25/2004)

By M.B.Wright

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

You can bet if you have seen one there are a lot more hidden in the walls/roof space. You have 3 choices, a deterrent, like the peppermint already mentioned. I don't know about that one as I haven't used it, but I do know the "electronic" devices didn't work for me. Second, trap and kill, any sort of device that snaps down and kills the mouse. What I use to find worrying about mice is the fact that they "scuttle" about so fast. Once they are in the trap, i.e. dead, you will find they are not as alarming. Then you can move them outside with thick gloves and drop the bodies out somewhere in the garden away from the house or wrap them well and put in the garbage. The more you do it the less scary it will be. Third is the humane trap mentioned above. The mice are still pretty scary running around in one of those, but you may be able to prevail on a neighbour to empty the trap for you.

Regards.

(05/25/2004)

By Jo

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Mice can carry hanta virus, which is very dangerous to humans. Any place you've seen droppings should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. I had a mouse in my kitchen drawers, where I kept towels and odds and ends. I found a half-mice eaten granola bar and some wine corks that he had munched on. I emptied and cleaned all the drawers, and set traps with peanut butter. Next morning I opened the drawer and found 1 dead little mouse, and I let out a scream. I don't know why I was so surprised to find a mouse, after all I had set a trap. I pulled the whole drawer out, dumped it into the trash, and again disinfected the drawer. No more mice. I washed all my towels that were in the drawer with bleach, too. (05/25/2004)

By Linda

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Mice can get in through the tiniest openings, like under your sink, where the pipe goes through to the outside. They can also chew through just about anything except steel wool. So take steel wool (Brillo pads work fine, with or without soap, whatever is cheapest) and tear pieces to fit, then stuff them into these openings. The mice will no loner be able to invade your home. (06/02/2004)

By Becki in IN

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Here in the desert, we have all kinds of mice, not just your basic gray house mouse. A few years back, we found a bag of Hershey's kisses that had been eaten into in our pantry, those little critters ate the Kisses wrapper into a million little pieces. They love chocolate as well as they do peanut butter. So we've started baiting our mouse traps with Reese's peanut butter cups. I am having great success.

Also, if you don't like the other mouse traps, you're probably not going to like this next suggestion, but if you don't like killing the mice, use glue mousetraps. You can find them at your local Ace Hardware, as well as some grocers and at Wal-Mart. The only thing about them is my hubby usually gets to take them outside. I can stand a mouse, dead or alive, but dead is the best. One thing about mousetraps, always remember where you put them and to check them frequently. There's nothing like a dead mouse stinking up your house. (06/05/2004)

By badwater

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Also, you might want to invest in some glass, ceramic, or Tupperware containers with lids for all your foods that are in plastic bags, etc. (06/05/2004)

By badwater

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Walmart sells a humane mouse trap, it is a tube with a door that will swing in, but not out. The mouse goes in to eat the food, but can not get out. If you want to you can take the mouse somewhere else and let it go, but I like the plain old fashion mouse trap and I bait it with peanut butter. (09/24/2004)

By owenmohrbucks

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Why don't you set out mouse poison? We had a problem when we moved to our acreage 10 years ago with mice in one of the walls in the house. My husband went into the attic and placed empty tuna tins with mouse poison in them and no more mice. Every fall he replenishes the tins. The mouse poison has oatmeal as a base, and mice love oatmeal. This poison is a "repeat" poison, meaning that the poison thins their blood gradually each time they eat, and they eventually die.

In Canada, in the farm supply stores I found an even better poison (one feeding kills them), this one is called Bromone (active ingredient is bromadiolone 0.005%) made by C-I-L and it comes in a block. I place some of the oatmeal-based poison with one or two blocks on a pie plate in my garage. The pie plate is at the entrance of the garage under the welder where the mice seem to come into the garage. Then if I put it under the welder, the dogs and cats can not "accidentally" eat it.

If you like the trap idea instead, tie a string to your trap and attach to something heavier than a mouse because I have had mice "walk" away with mine. I have had to go hunting for the trap the next morning. (10/29/2004)

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

I recently found a trap that is just a plastic rectangular tube with a door on a hinge. It is designed that once that mouse puts it's weight toward the middle or end of the trap the door falls down and shuts it in. They sell these at Home Depot for two in a package for like $2.

I haven't found any mice in mine yet, but I think my kittens have helped scare the mice off as they caught a few already. (12/02/2004)

By Princess Frogee

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Don't use the sticky traps. It's very sad seeing those little guys trying to unstick themselves. Our maintenance man put one of those down, and five hours later I walked in on that pitiful sight. I tried running water over the glue to see if it loosened and the little guy could go free, but it was too strong. I ended up setting it in the street facing away from oncoming traffic and it was put out of its misery by the first car to come. Sticky traps are the most inhumane thing you can do to get rid of mice. Also, poison is a terrible idea. Sometimes it works out, but there are those times when the mice will die in your walls and smell up your whole house. (12/30/2004)

By duuuude

RE: Keeping a Mouse out of My Kitchen!

Yeah, sticky traps for rodents suck.
To free a mouse from a sticky trap, pour cooking oil on the trap. The mouse will soon break free and run away, slipping and sliding and smelling like a donut.
But that's cool.
(05/24/2005)

By Anonymous

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

Your local animal shelter likely has a lovely kitten that would appreciate a home. I have lived in rural and city areas both of which had mice. The only time I had a mouse problem was when I was without a cat. The best defense is a good mouser. (11/08/2005)

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

The plug in thing works for us. I bought one at Home Hardware and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth its weight in gold. Living in the country surrounded by fields means we're looked upon as the Mouse Pan Pacific hotel. The plug in thing keeps them out. Don't know how it works, don't care how it works, just glad it works. (11/08/2005)

By Mary

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

I read somewhere on the net they don't like Bounce fabric sheets odor. I put them under my sink, and even one in the car. I had a family of mice last year in my trunk. We live in the woods more or less. Anyway so far no more mice.

(11/09/2005)

By Lori

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

You have to caulk or block up around all the pipes and little holes you can find, but the field mice will come in even under a door. They squeeze themselves flat. I think I'm going to start putting out traps or bait in the late summer before they start coming inside the house. That way I hope to nip it in the bud. Good luck. (11/09/2005)

By Carol in PA

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

For years, my DH puts the little yellow triangle boxes of d-Con Mouse-Prufe 11 in the attics and garage. You can put them in other places you have a mouse problem just make sure pets and children can't get to them.

It has worked well for us.

(11/09/2005)

By Syd

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

I've trapped mice by accident, when I had a large (coffee can size) can of peanut butter in my cupboard which was almost empty. I'd gone to use it and noticed a hole scratched in the center of the plastic lid. With a sinking feeling (I live out in the country so am no stranger to mice, unfortunately) I opened the can and there was a dead mouse in the bottom. He had dug his way in, fell into the almost empty can, and couldn't get out. So, this is a great way to recycle your cans and create free traps as well. (12/10/2007)

By soupseeds

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

Try bacon on snap traps, that works the best for us. Good luck. (08/13/2008)

By Johnathan

RE: Keeping Mice Out of My House

I used one of those electronic mice traps and they work great. You put some peanut butter as bait and when the mice come to eat, they get zapped. I think this is a humane way to get rid of them. When it is caught, a light blinks indicating a mice has been caught. You simply empty the trap and set it again. One smart mouse gave me lot of trouble. I tried the glue things and the humane traps and they didn't work. In the end the electronic mouse trap caught it. You can pick one up at Home Depot. (11/10/2008)

By Joe

Home and Garden Pest Control MiceFebruary 28, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Felt Mouse
Making Felt or Fabric Mice
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Mouse in Kitchen
Keeping Mice out of Appliances
A mouse made from two Hershey's Kisses.
Making Hershey's Kiss Mice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 5:50:56 PM on 10.0.0.130 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings