Browsing: Keeping Mice Out of Your Home

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Mice Out of Your Home

Mice often come into our homes to find food and warmth; keeping them out requires some persistence on your part. This is a guide about keeping mice out of your home.

metal mouse trap
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2010 Flag

I moved into a new construction 3 years ago. Since then, I've been having problems with mice. I'm not sure where they are coming from. I make sure doors are closed because there is construction around the area where I live and I know rodents tend to roam those areas. Despite of my efforts, I keep on finding mice droppings.

At first, I would find droppings inside my cabinets. Since there is no food in any of my lower cabinets, the mice are now outside in my kitchen area.

I've used traps and just this year I've caught 4. Where could they be coming from and more importantly how can I make sure they stop coming in?

By Ponce from Chicago, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Look at every connection where a pipe or electrical comes in. We found mice had chewed a larger hole around the gas line behind the stove, also behind the caps against the wall on the water lines under our sink as well as the water line to the fridge.

We got live traps from a grocery store and caught several with peanut butter. We walk away from our house and release them. But check all connections coming into your home and look for wall cracks so they don't return!

Read More Answers...

January 11, 2013 Flag

The house next door to us was empty for about 3 years, while the bank that foreclosed on it and renovated it back to habitability. There must have been about 20 people living there at one point. Thankfully, a lovely young couple with two small children, bought the house. The bank, also must have hired an exterminator, prior to putting the home up for sale, and the mice that must have been living in an empty quiet house, have decided to move into "our" house. We can not afford the expense of an exterminator. My husband has set traps, but I think the problem is bigger than just setting a dozen or so mouse traps. I have two dogs and am reluctant to put out poison. Any suggestions? I would prefer to just humanely make them go away, as opposed to killing them, but will consider all suggestions.

By Kathleen

Check site for Riddex, it is something you plug in and somehow its electronic rays repel the mice. I don't remember the cost but it was cheaper than an exterminator and safe for my pets and children. I have one upstairs and one downstairs and, knock wood.

They don't work have had three over the years guess what I found in my new apt. Tiny baby mice I saw them one caugt by hand too small to trap then saw another that night stayed up all night in the dark to catch them and caught another that morning. Think they were coming in thru the hole around plug behind stove. Too small to use traps they are too lite to trip any trap. They are extremely fast.fill up holes under sinks alsoand any where else. PS babies as young as 4 weeks of age can get pregnant and have a gestational period of 18-21 days. Good luck everyone.

Read More Answers...

December 4, 2013 Flag

Do the Pest Offense plug-ins keep mice and rats out?

By Meka

Save your money, I wasted way too much on them and they do NOT work !!

Tried using.. didn't work

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2012 Flag

Is there anything you can put around your house outside to prevent mice in a old home?

By Bev

I had the same problem as I live in a new modular home. What I did was to take" steel woodL" and put it around all my water pipes inside my house or any where they already had made an entrance. I have hadn't had anymore problem's with mice. A box of steel wool goes a long and is not that expensive.

I'm voting for a cat or two. And my wanton killer is a male. It just depends on the cat's temperment and skill!

Read More Answers...

February 21, 2012 Flag

Will moth balls help get rid of mice? My cat is too large to get in the space where the mice are getting in behind my cabinets. I could drop moth balls down there. Maybe the smell of the balls would deter the mice.

By LAL

Years ago, I read in Mother Earth News that mice and rats have a one way digestive system, so they can't burp.

They suggested putting a lid of soda down and they will drink and go away and stop annoying you. I have also read on Diggs that if you mix baking soda half and half with a cake mix, then sprinkle it around the inside and outside of the "entry ways" it works like a charm. Worth a try, right?

The other posters are right, they don't bother with things that they can't eat. They don't have good eyesight so they feel their way along walls and baseboards by their whiskers.

And you can put it other places where your cat can get to, without any risk.

I hope this helps.

Moth balls are poisonous to everything (including you) and have a terrible smell. They are just as bad as mice, really, in my opinion. Do not use them.

Read More Answers...

March 18, 2012 Flag

I had my Kenmore Elite refrigerator (with interior water dispenser) in the garage at the house I am renting (I had to use their frig) for the past two years. I will be moving and was cleaning up the frig again and found that mice/rats had built nests in the bottom of the frig.

I cleaned up what I can reach after removing the lower back plastic panel where the vents are, but I am scared it isn't safe or sanitary to use anymore. I am not sure where the air is being pulled in to cool the interior and if it is pulling from where they lived since I could not reach all of the interior of the frig, then I don't think it is safe. Also, they could have possibly chewed on wires so I don't know if it is now a possible fire hazard. Please advise whether or not the frig is safe to use. Thank you.

By Annie

Why not have Sears serviceman come and check it out? I think it would probably be fine, but you might sleep better if you have the wiring looked at.

If you have not plugged it in yet, please don't. Chewed wiring can blow a circuit or pop the breakers at the least.

If you have to, at least plug it into a wall that the circuit has been flipped off. Then, flip the breaker so you are not holding the cord or close to it. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

April 24, 2013 Flag

How can I buy peppermint oil spray to use to get rid mice in my home?

By Vivian E

Just buy peppermint oil and add a few drops of it to a spray bottle of water.

I currently am trying to get rid of mice from my kitchen. I've rubbed the inside of cabinets and doorways with peppermint oil and have even left an opened bottle of it in one of my cabinets. But seems to have no affect on the mice at all. I keep finding droppings exactly where I put the peppermint oil!

March 7, 2013 Flag

I want to know why mice are digging in my houseplants? I have had houseplants for last 30 years, but never had mice in my home. I live in a mobile home and have 2 dogs.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceFebruary 28, 2012
Felt Mouse
Making Felt or Fabric Mice
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Mouse in Kitchen
Keeping Mice out of Appliances
mouse in the kitchen
Getting Rid of Mice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:17:17 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.