Alternate Uses for Dental Floss

contest winner icon

For the past few weeks I've been writing down ideas to share for reusing dental floss instead of simply throwing it away after using. Here is what I've come up with which also gave me more ideas for uses beyond reusing after flossing. LOL!

After making the list, I decided to look online to see if I could find some other clever uses and the first one I am listing here is actually something I never would have thought of, but is important to keep in mind and the second one listed here that I found online made me giggle really hard. ;-)

Please share any other ideas you might have for reuse or use of dental floss.

• In emergencies, dental floss has been used to tie off severed arteries as a result of a freak accident or tie off the umbilical cord in an emergency delivery.

• There have been cases where prisoners escaped by using dental floss to cut through steel and in a separate case a prisoner climbed down the prison wall using dental floss woven into long rope. I can't help but wonder if prisoners are allowed to have dental floss any longer.

• Think about how you use floss for your teeth. What crevices around your house could use good floss cleaning, such as stoves tightly built-in between counter tops or other tight places where you might normally use a q-tip to clean?

• Use the mint flavored floss for supporting plants or for Christmas decorations, including stringing popcorn, because of its green color.

• Use it instead of wire or string to hang picture frames, repair or make wind chimes, and repair or make beaded necklaces and bracelets.

• Use dental floss to quickly and easily cut food such as eggs, cakes, soft cheese, bread, canned cranberry jelly, etc.

• Use it to tie up rolled meats and poultry for baking - I would recommend not using waxed floss for this.

• Dental floss is strong, so use it as thread to sew buttons or hooks and repair backpacks or other heavy material.

• Use instead of strings to tie up small packages.

• Broke a shoelace? Use floss until you can replace the lace.

• No rubber hair band? No problem, just tie your ponytail with the floss. You can do the same to use as an emergency cloth headband.

• Going fishing and have a hole or tear in your net? Repair it with floss. Come to think of it, floss would be excellent to repair any kind of netting.

• And now for my favorite! I've grown catnip in the past and tied sprigs of the catnip to one end of a long string to use as an interactive toy. I think I'll use dental floss in a pinch if I need to when I grow it again for Rachel.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Great ideas Deeli.

I've been using dental floss for sewing on buttons (especially on winter clothing that is made of heavy fabtrics), and I've restrung beads and pearls on it, but other than those things, teeth and gums, I've never given it much thought. I will now though. I've begun looking at everything in new ways, and realize I've been missing quite a lot.

Thank you for sharing.

All great ideas, and I admit I've done some of them myself over the years.

But oh dear, only for FRESH floss! Even if washed and cleaned in alcohol, I think "reusing dental floss instead of simply throwing it away after using" is taking recycling to a further level than I'd ever go!

Hey, it occurred to me that you could tie two wooden dowels at each end of a length of floss to slice through modeling clay, too. Not sure if that's what my art teacher many years ago used, though.

Oh may I really thought that was a misprint about reusing used dental floss and you just meant you were thinking of different ways to use floss when using it for your teeth until I reread it and realized I had read it right the first time. Reusing dental floss is just a little too extreme for me. However some of your ideas I would try using FRESH dental floss.

Don't use dental floss to play with cats, they may eat it and I could kill them.

Having worked as a dentist in the department of corrections, I can tell you that inmates are not allowed to have dental floss because of the alleged escapes using it. Please use unused floss for the suggested uses and throw the used floss in the trash.

Those are good ideas but I would never use dental floss that has been in your mouth or any one else's mouth. Buy new and use it, you can buy it at the dollar store.

Brides to be...before the wedding, resew the button and loop on your train. The trains are often quite heavy and if you have ever watched a bride try to "carry" around her train through the reception...trying to dance with it tossed over her arm so it won't drag, you know what I mean. :)

Be careful when using mint-flavored dental floss if you have cats. Apparently they like the flavor! A friend's cat who had been very healthy, suddenly became sick and died. An autopsy showed that dental floss was wrapped around her intestines and they had become strangulated. I know it sounds like a freak accident but you know how cats are into everything and it could easily happen.

A word of caution about using dental floss for buttons on coats. I tried that, but once the floss got wet in the rain, it came apart rather quickly. Since then, I just stick with heavy-duty thread. :)

I would prefer to use a good fishing line from my hubbys tackle box.

always use it to sew on buttons and fix my dog's toys

Dental Floss Container
Uses For Dental Floss
Dentist Examining Woman's Teeth
Saving Money on Dental Work
Name Ideas for Pediatric Dental Clinic
Name Ideas for Pediatric Dental Clinic
Woman Preparing to Brush Her Teeth
Dental Health Tips
framed felt and floss color chart
Making an Embroidery Floss and Felt Color Code Chart