Pen on a Leather Purse - Categories:

MiscellaneousCleaning

Pen on a Leather Purse

I have a medium tan soft leather purse; there's blue ink scattered on back of purse and bottom. How do I remove the ink without ruining the purse?

By squirrel from Uniontown, PA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. I got red pen on my new coach purse. They told me to use their cleaner. I had some under the sink, its pure rubbing alcohol. It came off right away. Test the purse first on the bottom to make sure you wont damage the color or leather.

Try hair spray if it hasn't been there too long. Test it on the bottom first, but I've had good luck with it.

I had an expensive Fosil purse with a ballpoint pen mark. I got it off with a dampened cloth and Dawn dish detergent. An older friend told me this. I was afraid it would leave a water stain but it didn't.

I found out that using a cotton bud and alcohol worked on my new Furla rose-pink bag.

Method:

1. Get a cotton bud and put a little bit of rubbing alcohol.(If you do too much alcohol, you can see the brown colour of the real leather underneath.)

2. Rub it gently many times on the ballpoint ink mark.( If it doesn't really work try putting more alcohol on the cotton bud.)

3.Then it should have worked.

I had blue pall point pen ink on a white leather purse. Bleach is the only thing that would take it out.

Don't use hairspray! While it has a high alcohol content, the other ingredients could stain the leather. How to clean the purse really depends on the type of leather it is (see below). The instructions below have helped me and I hope they help others, as well!

Types of Leather:

~Suede: stop reading and take your garment to a professional dry cleaner specializing in cleaning suede.

~Smooth leather: test cleaning methods in an inconspicuous place and proceed with care. If your garment or accessory is very expensive and you will be devastated if you ruin it, take it to a professional cleaner.

~Vinyl or pleather: begin cleaning.

Types of Ink:

~Ballpoint pen: proceed with cleaning method.

~Felt tip marker: proceed with cleaning method.

~Permanent ink or marker: consider having your garment dyed to match the stain or a darker shade. Permanent ink cannot be removed from leather without causing a great deal of damage to the garment. Professional dry cleaners or shoe repair shops can dye leather.

Cleaning Method:

~Isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol, works best for home removal of ink stains from leather. Fresh ink stains are easier to remove and usually come out easily, while older stains may require repeat treatments. Leather is porous and the stain can penetrate deep into the hide.

~Begin by dampening a white cotton cloth or cotton swab with the alcohol. Dont use a colored cloth because it can transfer dye to light colored leather. Work from the outside of the stain toward the middle by dabbing with the cloth. Keep the work area small  do not spread the ink into a bigger area.

~You should be able to see the ink transfer to the cloth. Dampen a clean area of the cloth or get a new swab as you see ink coming off to prevent re-staining the garment. Gently, keep blotting away until the ink is gone. Do not scrub harshly as that can remove color and a layer of the leather.

~Allow the garment to air dry after or between treatments. Once the ink is removed, treat garment with leather conditioner to help it remain supple and smooth.

Old Wives Tales & Myths:

~There's a million blogs and tips about using hairspray, dish detergent, laundry soap, mayonnaise and abrasive erasers to remove ink from leather. Yes, someone from somewhere has had success using these methods, but they cant be recommended.

~The most common misconception is using hairspray, which contains high alcohol content, but the other ingredients in the spray can cause staining and other problems. Use it ONLY in an emergency on a fresh ink stain.

~The abrasive erasers will probably remove the ink but theyll also remove a layer of the leather. So, youll need to decide if you want a stain or a hole.

Source:

http://laundry.about.com/od/stainremoval/a/leatherinkremov.htm

I just wanted to mention that I tried the rubbing alcohol on a blue ballpoint pen ink stain on a brown leather handbag and it unfortunately faded the color of the leather but left behind the ink. So, I would definitely recommend testing the rubbing alcohol on an inconspicuous area first before trying it on the stain. I'm going to try the Dawn method suggestion, and if that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the dry cleaners.

Thank you to the one who suggested Spray & Wash!

I soaked a corner of a soft cloth in Spray & Wash and used it to gently rub the blue ink out of my rose-pink leather Coach. Just be careful not to rub too hard or else the layer of color can rub off to expose the brown leather underneath.

I tried the suggestion of Dawn and it worked great on my new leather Douney and Burke purse. Thanks goodness because I was

heart broken about the stain on my new purse that I got for Christmas.

I have Betsey Johnson Purse ink got on it just used alcohol came rite off thanks

What kind of dooney leather did you have? I have a blue ink stain on a pink florentine leather purse and I'm terrified to ruin the color

Just tried the "dawn" detergent on my white MK leather wallet and it removed easily a small ballpoint pen ink stain!!!

October 30, 2010 Flag

What can I use to get ink off my light pink leather Coach purse?

By omie from Oak Lawn, IL

August 29, 2005 Flag

I need to clean ballpoint ink off my leather purse.

Thank you,
Chris

Answers:
Removing Ink From Leather Purse 09/28/2004
Try the Mr. Kleen Magic Eraser - it's like a miracle magic wand for cleaning. I can't believe all the stains it has removed. Good luck
By nanalori
Removing Ink From Leather Purse 09/30/2004
Try hairspray
By Shirley (Guest Post)
Removing Ink From Leather Purse 12/01/2004
Unfortunately, because leather is extremely porous, any solvent you chose runs the risk of damaging the outside finish, or flushing the ink color into a big blotch on the leather. Since the mark is on the inside I would leave it. However, you may contact the Tandy Leather Compnay in Fort Worth for advice. Using a very small amount of alcohol, or acetone, followed by aggressive pressure and blotting may remove most of it, but will cause the stain to bleed. Be careful, and seek out a professional. Coach is worth it.
By Darrell (Guest Post)
Removing Ink From Leather Purse 09/24/2005
Hi, I am no expert of course, but what about trying an Armour-All wipe? Good Luck!
By shesbertsernie (Guest Post)
Removing Ink From Leather Purse 04/27/2006
Mr. Kleen Magic Marker does not work, at least it didn't for me.
By Dyanne (Guest Post)

March 13, 2011 Flag

How can I remove ball point pen ink from a leather purse?

By Linda from Carlisle, PA

Answers:

Pen on a Leather Purse

Hairspray removes ink pretty well. But on a leather purse, I'd be really careful. Try spraying hairspray on a cotton swab, then test it by swabbing it on a tiny, non-visible part of the leather to make sure it doesn't get damaged. Then if the leather doesn't get damaged, test it on a tiny part of the purse where the ink is. The hairspray has to be wet to work, I believe; so you'll have to refresh the cotton swabs as you're doing it. (10/31/2010)

By Joanne

Pen on a Leather Purse

I got ballpoint pen marks off one of my leather purses with Dawn liquid dish detergent. The spot looked dark from the water, but it when it dried in a few minutes the ink was gone. (10/31/2010)

By TXBetty

September 28, 2010 Flag

How do I clean ink marks off of a light tan soft leather purse?

August 22, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a pen mark from a red leather bag? I tried alcohol and it took the color off.

July 22, 2010 Flag

I got ink on my nice leather bag. How do I remove it?

February 25, 2010 Flag

I lent a white leather purse to a friend who marked across it with a blue pen. I used rubbing alcohol without testing it first.

April 1, 2009 Flag

I have pen marks on my Italian leather pocketbook. I tried using hairspray and a spot remover pen, but nothing has worked.

March 9, 2009 Flag

I have blue ballpoint ink on a Coach sand pebbled leather bag. What's the best way to remove it?

January 18, 2009 Flag

How do I get pen ink out of a leather purse?

January 29, 2008 Flag

How can I get pen ink out off a leather clutch bag?

May 27, 2006 Flag

Someone at my workplace drew a huge line of blue pen on my light pink, leather Juicy Couture bag. I can't get it out.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 13, 2011
Leather Purse
Cleaning Oil Stains on a Leather Purse
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Leather Wallet
Re-dyeing Leather
photo of brown leather couch
Removing Pen from Leather Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:32:10 PM on 10.0.0.225 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.