American Bulldog Peeing in the House

Does any one know how to get a potty trained American Bulldog to quit peeing in the house and on my stuff?

Faith from Tempe

Please contact your local humane societies/animal shelters because they usually have an animal behaviorist on staff who can give you free advice/solutions on pet behavior problems because they want to do everything possible to keep you & your pet(s) happy together. If you cannot locate a local humane society/animal shelter in your yellow pages, go to:

Or search online for articles such as:

Thank you for doing whatever it takes to keep your dog because most people easily give up & there are too many homeless, adoptable pets in this world. Good luck!

Try diapers. Dogs usually do not like to soil themselves. Try diapers for a period of time and then gradually cut back on using them.

There could be a couple of reasons:

1. Bladder/urinary tract infection - if the dog has a bladder or urinary tract infection they will feel a burning sensation and they will just go whenever they feel that sensation.

2. Marking - if it is a male dog he could be marking his territory - especially if he is housebroken - CRATE TRAIN! This is also good if the dog is just attention seeking. If you crate train the dog and take him outside to go to the bathroom he will get the idea that he is supposed to go out there. Correct him when he goes inside but do not use the crate as punishment. Use the crate as a safe place for him - he will not go to the bathroom in the crate. Reward him when he comes out of the crate and goes straight outside and uses the bathroom, if he comes inside and pees on the floor or your stuff tell him NO and take him straight back outside, otherwise he goes in the crate or is in your line of site. if you are not home he should be in the crate. worked for my guys.

You know there are lots of reasons, and

all the suggestions were great.

If your have cable or satellite dish.....have you

every watched those dog training programs.

Cesar Milano has a terrific program and even a website.

Good luck

Is this a recent problem? I am guessing so since you say he is potty trained. Do you use ammonia to clean the mess? If so, that could be a source of it being an ongoing problem. I came across this last week while researching homemade carpet shampoo:

"Avoid Ammonia If you have animals, ammonia is not a good thing to use on your carpets, especially if you are treating a pet stain. The smell will just lure them back to the same spot. Also if you have hardwood floor under the carpet, ammonia will turn the wood black. I unfortunately found out the hard way.

Post by Roberta Doyle"

Here's the link: (copy and paste in browser or search homemade carpet shampoo on this site) ... hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Good luck,

I can help you more with the smell, I use ginger ale when mine have a mistake, it really works, takes the urine smell completely out. You must go out with the dogs and talk to them, and say "lets go pee pee". Praise them when they do their thing. You must say it every time and go out with them and do lots of praise, and lots of repetition.

When I trained my dog I kept an eye on him ALL the time and when he began to squat I picked him up quickly and rushed him outside and set him on the grass.

He got trained very quickly.

You have to make sure that you take your dog out a lot so he is empty when you leave him alone.

Dogs do not like to pee indoors when they are given an alternative.

We got our puppy housebroken in about a week and a half. We went to PetSmart and bought a training crate. The dog slept in it every night, and every time we left the house. (Just make sure there is a water supply) Take them outside as soon as you get home, right before bed and as soon as they wake up. We still have a few accidents every now and then, but she got used to going outside. Puppies usually have to use the bathroom about 10-15 minutes after they eat, play, and sleep. Just keep an eye on him!

I have just got a puppy who is 17 weeks old, and still being toilet trained. We are her 2nd family. What we find to be working is, letting her out every half an hour. What seems to be working is when she goes outside, we praise her loads! .

Pets Dogs Dog BreedsSeptember 4, 2007
Two English Bulldogs, one sitting one laying down.
English Bulldog Breed Information and Photos
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll