Rug Hooking Crafts

The hockey picture is a rug hooked wall hanging, I made for one of my grandson's. It is the 5th piece I did. You can use various backings, wool was cut into #3 cut, you start by putting the hook through the backing and one hand under hoop or frame, holding the color you want to start with.

The bird is a picture of the second piece of rug hooking, I ever did. Rug hooking is not as hard as one would think. You use a piece of burlap or other backings, get some wool and a hook. You can trace pattern on yourself or buy patterns already done. I do all my own pictures and transfer them onto my backing. There is lots to learn but it is a very rewarding hobby. Lots of groups and lovely people to help you learn.

You pull up one piece, which is the end, the next one is a loop, loop, till you pull the last of the strip up. You continue on with the colors you are using in your pattern, cutting the single end pieces even with the loops. Rug hooking is a wonderful craft and has not died out since the old people used rags and nylons, etc. to make mats for the floor. Some people even do 9 x12 foot rugs for a floor, using one that is not a high traffic area.

Thank you,
By Shirley from Nova Scotia

I tried rug hooking on a piece I got at Goodwill that had a few unfinished areas. I struggled with trying to keep the loops even. The result was O.K., but at least someone's project was completed and is being used. I realize too that I need to practice to become more skilled. Your designs inspire me to try another rug with my own design. A big mahalo nui loa for sharing. Something about working with your hands that is soothing.

Those are stunningly beautiful. What a lovely craft.

Don't give up. I hook with a group on Mon's and they do some beautiful work. Not a loop, where it isn't supposed to be. Mind you, they have been at it for years. It will only be a year in mid March since I started to hook. Google rug hooking and I bet you will find someone, from your area to help you. Thank you, for the feedback, Pigeon Toes

Do you have a pattern for the hockey player that you are willing to share?

Very beautiful.

Those are great! My dad used to needle-punch rugs, using yarn. There is even a way to make rugs that look exactly like Persian rugs by needle punching and cutting the loops - see Oriental Rug Designs.com on the net.

Rug Hooking Craft
Making Rug Hooking Crafts
Crafts RugsFebruary 22, 2008
The start of a latchhook rug on a canvas
Making A Latchhook Rug
Punch Needle Embroidery
Punch Needle Embroidery Tips and Tricks
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
🎉
🎄