Cub Cadet Mower Won't Start

My Cub Cadet riding mower won't turn over at all. It doesn't make a sound.

By Robert from Sanford, NC

Answers

June 14, 2010 Flag

The starter cord is locked on my Cub Cadet with Briggs & Stratton engine. I got one season of good mowing. This season it was hard to start and when I finally got it going it locked up after 1/2 of my large yard. I turned the mower off and on several times over the course of mowing the yard to dump grass and pick up dog poop.

Pulling cord was getting more and more difficult to pull. It would jerk and halt, but the mower would ultimately start. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't pull an inch. I took the cover off and removed the pulley unit. The pulley moves fine when removed, but flanges (?) come out and lock against ridges in the unit when mounted and the cord is pulled.

The gas is full, oil clean and full, and there is no grass impedance. The choke and hand lever seem to be functioning normally, but took fussing with them to start the first time. Now nothing will unlock the cord because pulling engages the metal "wings" on the pulley unit and they lock against metal notches in the mounting cylinder.

By Elisabeth from Placerville, CA

Answers:

Cub Cadet Mower Won't Start

Take it back to where you got it or to a shop, good luck. (04/14/2010)

By kffrmw88

Cub Cadet Mower Won't Start

I asked my hubby and he said to take the spark plug out and then try to pull the rope. It should pull easy then. If it still doesn't, that means something is locked up. Try this, it might help. Or, as Hubby said, it might be a lot of other things. This is one idea to try. Hope it's the one! (04/14/2010)

By TeresaKay

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJune 14, 2010
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄