1-2-3-4 Cake with Caramel Icing
This is an old time recipe for a delicious white cake with caramel icing that is done in 4 easy steps.
Total Time: 1 hour or less. 1 hr or less
Yield: 1 3 layer cake
Source: Found in an old Family Cookbook
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3-9 inch round cake pans.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl at medium speed till smooth. Add eggs, beating until smooth. At low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk. Beat in vanilla.
- Scrape into the three pans, dividing evenly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean to test. Cool on racks for 10 min.
- Meanwhile: Prepare Icing! Melt 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed) and 1/4 cup milk. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat 2 cups powdered sugar into milk mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Frost and stack layers of cake.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!