Making Icing

Here are my improvisations for natural food colours as I don't like to use chemical colours. They work great in icings.

I recently made a green cake for my son's second birthday!

I have a juicer and I just use juices in my icings to colour them.

Beetroot juice for pink/red
Spinach juice for green
and Carrot juice for yellow.

They are brilliant!

Camilla Berry (Sussex, England)

7 More Solutions

Make your own icing sugar. There is a huge difference in the cost of regular white sugar and icing sugar, yet icing sugar is only white sugar ground finer. I have a little "magic bullet" food processor and its a snap to throw a cup of sugar in there and grind it up.

This can be made out of any of the flavored coffee creamers. I used this one day when I ran out of milk. Now I would never use extract again. Enjoy!

Easy Holiday Flavored Icings

Tired of the same old cake and icing? Take vanilla cake mix or vanilla icing and add unsweetened drink mix. You can add food coloring to match the flavor. It adds a lot of flavor and interest.

Quick and healthy. This is the best icing ever! Slightly warm cream cheese in microwave (or leave out about an hour or so or until it's room temp). Add vanilla then slowly stir in honey to taste.

I save plastic containers, like from butter or whip cream, so that I can mix icing colors in different size containers depending on the amount of icing I need of a certain color. - Jennifer

Make a simple, delicious icing using only confectioners' sugar and eggs. This page contains a two ingredient cake icing recipe.

icing with food color

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains royal icing recipes. Royal icing with its smooth hard finish when dried is perfect for making cake and cookie decorations.

Royal Icing Recipes

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceDecember 26, 2014
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Icing.html