6 Week Bran Muffins
The batter will stay in your refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. I halved the recipe and got 26 muffins. They freeze well and are healthy and delicious.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Source: Whole Foods for the Whole Family
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 cups bran
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup honey, molasses or brown sugar (I used Truvia brown sugar blend)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 cup dates, raisins or chopped apple (optional)
- Pour boiling water over 2 cups of the bran.
- In another bowl sift the flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add the wheat germ and the rest of the bran. Combine with the wet bran. Stir until moist.
- Add the oil, sweetener, eggs, buttermilk and fruit (if using).
- Pour into well-greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!