Activities for Blind Alzheimer's Patient

My mother has Alzheimer's and has been blind for about a year. She is bored to tears - literally - and lonely at the nursing home during the day by herself. She can no longer crochet. I tried coloring. No good. She is advanced, but not so much that she would agree to a baby doll. I'm trying to find something she can do, by herself during the day until I get there after work to visit. Thank you.

I am sure some of ThriftyFun's members will have good suggestions to offer. In the meantime, may I say, 'Your Mother is a very beautiful lady'.

Oh! I just thought of something. A blind woman taught me how to knit. She knitted pot holders for a good portion of the day. Maybe you Mother could try that. It would keep her hands busy til something more interesting was found. Good luck.

She used to crochet and knit, but can no longer do it. I don't think she could do the pot holders either since her "memory muscle" seems to be gone as well. Otherwise, it'd be an awesome idea. Thank you for your response and I look forward to others, as well.

Dear LJohnson, I have a few ideas for your mother who I hope is still doing well. She could fold fabrics of different textures to feel them. You can get a pocketbook or bag and fill it with stuff that she can sort. Also, my grandmother had dementia and was in a nursing home run by the state with limited activities.

My parents paid for her to have lifetime membership in the local senior center. The center picked her up every day and brought her to the group. She was around people and activities and we really felt it helped prolong her life; it certainly made her happy.