ColoringHair Tips

Adding Blue Hair Dye to Previously Dyed Hair

I've recently dyed my hair fully green and I want to add blue as well to give it that mermaid look. I've let the green set in for a week. And I want to know will I get that right greenish blue shade or will it turn into a nasty colour? I don't really mind if I don't get any blue showing, but I wouldn't want to get a nasty shade. Please help. I'm really confused as to whether to go ahead or not.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

What I always do when making a color change is save hairs from my brush, and experiment on that. If it is a mistake, I won't have to live with it. If I like what I see, I go ahead.

Why not try a temporary coloring you can use kool-aid or buy the temporary colors at your local beauty supply store

i think hair is different on everyone.. one thing you might try tis to try some strands underneath so it doesnt show first.

I did exactly what you describe and my hair was exactly the colour yours was, I went back and forth between green, aqua blue, red, and I have to say, I liked how it looked. If the blue is vibrant and strong enough, it should take well. At worst, the hair will be darker than you would have wanted it to be. But the others' ideas of sampling on test hair is very good.

I absolutely love the color your hair is at present. But, if you do want to add a touch of blue, I would get a temporary hair color magic marker from Walgreen, Rite Aid, CVS and experiment with the blue color. Personally, I think you should stick with the beautiful color you have now, or add very light, thin streaks of blue. Too much will overpower and take away from the lovely color it is. In addition, god only knows what color a full blue hair dye will result in (but I am imaging it and it ain't good!). The hair magic markers last only a few days or washes, but will give you a good idea how it will look. And, you can apply the marker color as thin or thick as you wish.