Adding Scent to Old Potpourri

Revive your old potpourri by adding a new scent. This is a guide about adding scent to old potpourri.

To freshen potpourri that I keep in a dish in the bathroom, I just spray it with Fabric Refresher and it keeps the room smelling fresh.

By Alice

How can I add scent back to old potpourri? I already know that you can mix essential oil and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, then spray it on the potpourri, and then seal it in a jar or bag for 1-2 days. I wanted to know if there is any other tricks?

By Jennifer Hayden from Lawrence, KS

Answers

Best Answer

I simply sprinkle some essential oil directly onto the potpourri in the container. Oils may stain if the potpourri is in anything other than a glass container.

Does anyone know how to refresh dried potpourri? I had a vase given to me with some in it from a friend of mine, but there is no smell left in it. Was wondering if maybe adding some water with scented oil would work and drying in oven? Or is there some other way to freshen this and bring scent back into it? Thanks for your help!

jmz2005 from Illinois

Answers

By Debra in Colorado (Guest Post)

Go to your local Walmart and buy some liquid Poppurri and add it to your dried poppurri and it will freshen it right up. A small bottle should last you quite a few times of refreshing depending on how much you use.

By kelly (Guest Post)

I make my own pouporri, and I freshen it up by adding essential oils. You can even find them at Walmart. The best way to do this is add the oil to your mix and store in a wax lined bag for a week. Be sure not to use plastic bag, the oil and plastic do not agree. Good Luck

Where do you find waxed paper bags? Please?

Where can you buy wax lined bags for homemade potpourri?

I have Fall potpourri which has lost its fragrance. Can someone please tell me which oils or scents to add to it?

By amrita from NJ

Answers

All fall scents are different, it all depends on the maker of the potpourri. Some are apple-cinnamon, some are clove & orange, pumpkin-spice or any mixture. Find a scent you like (at a health food store) buy real essential oil, it will last longer. Then put about a teaspoon of oil into a tiny spray bottle then add 2 or 3 ounces of rubbing alcohol & shake. Now just spray this on to your potpourri. Better yet, put your potpourri into a sealed baggie or jar then spray the scent in & shake or mix up. Then leave it sit for a day or two & the scent will be absorbed & the alcohol will evaporate.

* Another trick to get back a potpourri's scent is to just spray on a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol or 100 proof vodka & stir. The Alcohol can sometimes bring back the original scent.

* To make your scent last even longer add a "fixative" like Tincture of Benzoin. You only add 2 or 3 drops to the above mixture of alcohol & essential oil. Tincture of Benzoin is for affixing bandages to wounds. Ask your pharmacist. You may have to go to 3 or 4 before you find a drug store that still sells this old fashioned fixative. Sometimes you can have them order it or buy it on line. It also helps keep homemade herbal salves & lip balms fresh longer. It's very sticky stuff!

Walmart has lots of oils to refresh potpouri. Look in the floral department.

I found some old potpourri in the closet recently, but the smell of pumpkin is gone. I hate to throw it out since it's brand new, must have gotten misplaced. Is there a way of making it smell like pumpkin again? Thanks.

Bonnie from Zion, IL

Answers:

Adding Scent to Old Potpourri

I just buy the scented oils (essential oil) and sprinkle it on my old potpourri, keep it in a closed container for a few days and then put it out. I hear you can use Oris root to extend the length of the "smell". Haven't tried that yet. (01/23/2009)

By Linda

Adding Scent to Old Potpourri

I do this all the time. Just add a few drops of pumpkin scented oil to the potpourri. It is sold where you buy the products for making candles. There are lots and lots of scents. Wal-Mart sells this oil and so does Michael's or any craft store. I like the pumpkin scent also. Pour a few drops in the bag and shake it up. Let it set in the bag for a little while to absorb the oil. You can do this over and over. Janette (01/23/2009)

By Janette