All Natural Weed Killer

Here is an easy all natural weed and grass killer that works fast, doesn't harm the environment and is a lot cheaper than the toxic weed killers available at the home improvement store.

I was tired of using harmful chemicals to keep weeds and grass under control in my yard. So I decided to try something new. I know that salt will kill off just about any vegetation in large quantities, so I figured it would be good for killing weeds and grasses in smaller amounts. Vinegar affects the PH of the soil also and makes it difficult for plants to grow.

So I mixed the 2 together and put them in my trusty weed sprayer to see what happened. I used a whole gallon of white vinegar and about a half cup of salt, here are the results.

I chose a test area that had some grass growing up in seams of the driveway. Here you can see the test area I used to apply the mixture.

This is what it looked like after 24 hours.

This is what it looked like after 48 hours.

As you can see it is a very effective weed and grass killer. I also tried it on dandelions and some other weeds around the yard. It worked equally well with them, but it will also kill the grass surrounding the weed if you are not very careful with the application. This year, I am going to give my kids little paint brushes with cups of vinegar and salt and let them apply the mixture to the dandelions in the grass. I think this will be an effective method of applying the weed killer without killing the surrounding vegetation. Plus, it will be kind of fun for them.

It rained the next day and I thought the grass might perk up, but the weeds and grass continued to die off. It was very effective on the broad leaf weeds. Some of the grass in the driveway and sidewalk needed a second dose after about a week, but the areas I doused really well the first time died off completely. I believe the reason for needing to reapply was because I did not put enough on those areas the first time around.

Happy gardening!

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Very effective and green, too. When the moss gets out of control here in Salem, I just sprinkle on some dollar store laundry soap. In just four days, it's brown and can be brushed off with a broom.

I love the simplest solutions, don't you?

thanks to all those wonderful gardeners for the great natural ideas i knew if i went on line i would get a no nonsense cache of down to earth [pardon the pun] ideas THANK YOU ALL bryen

I used this recipe, adding about one tablespoon of liquid dish detergent to kill kudzoo. If you're familiar with kudzoo, it's almost impossible to kill. I reapplied a few times just to make sure it was gone. This really did the trick!

Adding two tablespoons of liquid dish detergent, to the gallon of vinegar, will act as a "sticker"...allowing the weed killer, to stick to the weed/grass better!

You may have better luck with 20% acid vinegar that is available at some garden supply stores. It's not as easy to come by as household vinegar and you can even order it on Amazon, although the shipping is really steep.

You do need to use caution since it's very toxic to humans and you shouldn't inhale it or get it in your eyes or on your skin. I was instructed to mix it with about 1/4 cup of orange oil to a gallon and spray carefully only what needed to be killed because it isn't selective and will kill all it touches. It's rainproof in about 20 minutes and you can replant the area sooner than if you use a herbicide because it's not a chemical and considered organic. Do your research to confirm these facts since I surely could be remembering wrong!

Thanks for sharing, will definitely try this! Sounds like an awesome alternative to harsh chemicals.

While I heartily approve of natural herbicides, I had a favorite method of controlling dandelions when my children were little. I would send them out every morning to gather the pretty yellow flowers for me, and I would put them in a vase. As the season wore on and the stems grew shorter, I switched to a bowl.

The thing is, the blossoms last a day, and die overnight...so I needed a fresh bouquet every morning! It didn't reduce the dandelions in the yard, but just about eliminated the unsightly puffballs. And the children loved bringing Mommy bouquets.

Anonymous

Hello Jess: ... Thank you so much for the advice. It really does work . Amazing!!! .. (:

To Jess from Hillsboro OR,
Dandelions may be weeds to you, but a great food source to others. Add the greens to salads or make them the salad greens. The fresh yellow flower and stem are also edible. In fact the entire plant can be eaten... roots too. Boiled greens with butter, salt and pepper is similar to spinach. Google dandelions for all the info on nutrients etc. Dandelionscan also be found in the supermarkets during peak seasons.

That is a good idea. There is no keeping the dandelions out of my yard as we live across from a field.

But the weed killer was really for the ones that grown in the cracks in the sidewalk. I don't use it anymore, I just pour boiling water directly on them.

I don't think salt is ever good for the soil, but using a steamer or very hot water might work too.

Boiling water works great, even more effective than the salt and vinegar. I have entirely switched over to using water only for these sidewalk and driveway weeds.

Boiling water is also good for eradicating any sugar ant nests you might see in the cracks. There is usually a light dust that piles up from entering and exiting. It's creepy fun to drown them with boiling water, watch the remaining ants scurry around removing bodies and eggs, and then do it again once they have settled down. A third time is generally not necessary.

Anonymous

I believe you defeated the purpose f both ingredience by mixing the 2 together. Salt is a base while vinegar is an acid.

Thanks for the info. I just put down mulch in the back yard and I have had several patches of grass and weeds come through, Ive had the same areas sprayed with organic grass and weed killer but, its expensive and always returns. I will try this, tomorrow.

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsMarch 11, 2012
🌻
🐛
📓