AlterationsClothing

Altering a Blouse for a Large Bust and Smaller Waist

The size I have to get in order to get a blouse to fit through the bust causes the blouse to be excessively large in the front below the bust and on the sides, especially when the blouse is worn unbuttoned over a cami. How can I alter the front/sides so they do not hang out so far in the front and/or sides that it makes me look bigger through the middle than I am?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Try wearing a belt around your waist.

If you sew, you can take up the seams on each side or get a seamstress to alter it for you. Knit or stretchy materials wouldn't be as loose fitting.

boy, I know this problem well

Step 1
my solution has been to basically give up on blouses, or cinch them with a belt, as previously described

Step 2
there are certain clothes designers that would cater to a 'fuller figure', and here is a link to some worldwide http://hourglas  g-for-big-busts/

Step 3
if you sew I believe you can add pins to the fabric at the sides to alter them. I don't know how because I can't sew but here's a fun site on how to alter things for big bust, in general a fun site with lots of info http://hourglas  ing-alterations/

Learning to sew darts can be a bit of a nuisance, but once you've mastered the skill, it will prove invaluable: https://www.goo  r&kpvalbx=1.

And of course you could hire someone to tailor your garments for you. Not a very thrifty solution, but it is an option.

Personally? I favour light-weight sweaters: better fit throughout, no ironing, very business-like under a suit jacket (if that's one of your concerns).

Good luck!

Sew darts from hemline to under the bust or darts in the back so as not to ruin the front line of the blouse.

Since this seems to be a problem that will not go away, I would suggest you "bite the bullet" and take a favorite blouse to a dressmaker/seamstress and get a feel for how they make the changes. Either have them explain what they are going to do or pay close attention to the completed work so you can copy it.
Try to pick a top that has a general look so maybe you can use it on different styles.
You may also try placing an ad on Craigslist for a seamstress and see if you can find someone who needs work but has to stay at home. Just be sure to see some of their work before leaving even one top and even then, only one or two at a time.

My daughter is short and she find someone to do her alterations for a very reasonable price.