Washing Delicate Fabrics

Category Laundry
A lace blouse, sweater or lingerie need some extra attention when laundering. This guide is about washing delicate fabrics.

Keep an old pillowcase near your dryer. Put small items like socks, panties, bras, and gloves in it then put the whole thing in your dryer. The items won't get "lost" in your dryer and will emerge lint free.

By perfume and powder from Chesapeake, VA

If you have delicate fabrics or lace, which through soiling need washing. Place them in a medium size microwave safe bowl of water, to which you have added your detergent. Place the bowl and contents into the microwave with the timer set for 5 minute intervals on medium.

Check the contents each 5 minutes to see if the contents are cleaned, being mindful that the water and material will be very hot. I suggest that you keep a plastic salad server spoon to hand, to lift the fabric from the water to check. When ready rinse and dry flat and away from direct sunlight.

Source: I make lace and this is my own idea for cleaning it.

By Yvonne S. from Lincolnshire UK

Can you wash a silk dress or shirt?

By Kerry from Victoria

Answers

It depends. I have washed light colored silk blouses and they turn out fine. Hand wash in cold water, let it drip dry from a hanger. Touch up with a cool iron if needed. Dark fabrics often bleed and fade. If there is any trim like beads or embroidery or if the item is multicolored it probably will not wash well. HTH

I know that you can get mesh bags for bras or whatever, but they have zippers and tear up stockings. So now for stockings, I put them inside a plain old pillowcase (that you might not use, since they may fade).

This is also really good for bras and anything that says "hand-wash". Close the clasps of your bra so that it doesn't snag. Pin it shut with big safety pins and run the delicate cycle. I've even done this with hand wash dresses and skirts. As long as you don't get used for a bag of everything, bras will snag your stockings.

I have one for each texture/fragility. Then, they will untangle easily for line-drying and they last much longer. Plus, they get fabric softener to make it smell great. I do not think you should really use this on Dry Clean Only things, unless you want to shrink it by twenty percent. Even then, it 's risky.

Hand washables, another story, say goodbye to rinsing and kneading. Your pillowcase gets cleaner too! It even dries fast!

By Damaged05170 from Dayton, OH