Alternatives to Wood Cutting Boards

Category Kitchen Tools
can lid with a peach and knife
There are many alternatives to using a wooden cutting board for preparing food. This is a guide about alternatives to wood cutting boards.

I don't care for wooden cutting boards because they are difficult to sanitize. I bought a heavy plastic cutting board. It seemed OK for a while. Then, I began to get stains in the knife marks. No amount of scrubbing, boiling water, nor pure bleach would remove the stains. I'm sure it was clean, I just didn't like the appearance. I scanned the Internet for a ceramic cutting board. I was shocked to learn how expensive they are. I thought, "There must be some way I can improvise".

I had a Corelle dinner plate and serving platter I never used. I decided to try them as cutting boards for small items. They worked beautifully. Corelle is non porous and can be sterilized, if needed. Perfect! If there is any drawback to using Corelle as a cutting board, it would be that it would tend to dull your knife quicker than a wooden or plastic board. So, easy on the pressure.

Before posting, I wanted to be sure it was safe to use Corelle as a cutting board. I found that Corelle is a three layer laminate made of Vitrelle, a tough, chip resistant and lightweight glass. Sounds good. If you don't have any Corelle, you could probably pick up a piece at a yard sale for 50¢.

Yeah, but is it really safe? Well, I just now found that Corelle manufactures it's own line of cutting boards. I found a nice 20x16 at Amazon and get this; it cost only $40.00!

This is a guide about use a coffee can lid as a cutting board. Reuse a large plastic lid as a cutting surface in the kitchen or in your lunch box before recycling it.

can lid with a peach and knife

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was using a ceramic knife to cut up a bell pepper on a Corelle Ware plate. Much to my surprise, I turned away for a moment, I heard a 'chink' type noise, and I turned back to the plate and it was cracked down the middle. I set it aside to show my wife. Can a ceramic knife cause the cracks?

By 1492

Answers

If the knife etched the plate, it may have caused it to crack. (To cut glass, you etch a line, then crack it along the line.) But why I am compelled to answer, is because you will ruin your expensive knives cutting on a hard surface! Use a plastic or wood cutting board! Happy New Year!

Contact the makers of Corelle. Corelle is supposed to be break-resistant. Were you cutting a very hot food on a cold plate? Anyway, the above answer is right; use a cutting board to protect yourself and your knives!

Same exact thing happened to me! I broke 2 Corelle serving bowls and the only thing common during the use of both was I had a ceramic knife. I do use a wood cutting board to cut/chop food however this was a single slice to finish off the food in the bowl before serving and the plate broke exactly in half... so strange! Needless to say, I will NOT place the ceramic knives near the Corelle again...

btw-Corelle CS was great and they are honoring the warranty.

Anonymous

This is the second corelle I have shattered with a ceramic knife. The first time, I hoped it was because my plates had lived a dramatic life for nearly two decades aboard a boat, and were tired of big seas. The second time several years later, I barely touched the plate while cutting a slice of watermelon in half with a ceramic knife. Same result. Even though this much beloved pattern is no longer available, and I don't care for any patterns that are, I'm tempted to sacrifice the rest of the plates, in video, for science. Regardless, I am still a huge fan of Corelle. The ocean can throw these all over the boat, & then you can pick them up and go on to have a classy dinner party in port.