Aluminum Can Pinwheel

If I'm not taking my aluminum cans to the recyclers, I'm making things with them. These pinwheels are easy to make and a delight to watch spin in the wind. There are certain spots in our garden where squirrels wreak havoc, so we place them there to keep them at bay with the bright reflections. Please wear heavy duty gloves when cutting and shaping aluminum cans.

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 1 pinwheel

1. Use your serrated knife to puncture a hole into the can, then use your scissors to cut off the top rim.
  2. Puncture the bottom of the can, then cut it off.
  3. Cut the rectangle of aluminum into a square with 4 equal sides.
  4. Use a ruler to find the very center of the square, then mark it.
  5. Cut a line from every corner of the square to about an inch from the middle.
  6. Punch a hole into every upper left hand corner of each segment, then punch a hole right in the center.
  7. Insert your piece of wire in from the back (the coloured side of the can).
  8. Bring down each corner that has a hole and thread the wire through.
  9. When all four corners are threaded, place the bead over them.
  10. Use your pliers to bend the end of the wire over the bead so it's secured.
  11. Using your pliers, bend the long remaining wire piece in the back of the pinwheel downward to create a stem.
  12. Slide the drinking straw over the wire stem. It's ready to plant outside for your twirling enjoyment!

Thanks. This looks easy enough, and I'm going to try it. Anything to keep those adorable squirrels at bay, not excluding a 20 gauge double barrel shotgun.

Some are worth keeping around. The ones with character, that interact, and do not bust up your beautiful garden!!!

www.thriftyfun.com/tf76584103.tip.html

I make no apologies. When every year, hundreds of bedding plants are dug up and die because their roots are exposed to the Sun, the only good squirrels with character are dead squirrels with character.

I worked long and hard to grow these pansies from seed, only to have squirrels dig them up, merely for the hell of it. Yes, I wish they all were dead.

Yes, I could love a squirrel as much as any dog, cat, or bird I have made friends with. But it hurts to see what you have worked so hard for destroyed just for fun.

If a child continually came onto my property and destroyed my flowers, I could take its parents to court and have them compensate me for damages done by their child.

The squirrel can destroy my flowers and doesn't have to answer to anyone. Does our legal system deem the squirrel deserves more leniency than our children?

I think most legislators are a few bricks shy of a load.

In my home town there is still a law in the books that says it's illegal to tether your horse overnight on Main Street. Go figure.

It's illegal here in California to harm/poison/kill squirrels, but we sure wish they would go away. These flashy windmills work on some of them, the chili spray works on others, but we can't think of a way to get them all to bugger off 100%! I understand your pain... Mumzy, more so. All your hard work!

lol if a lawyer could make $$ off representing squirrels chances are they'd try it

Love the pin wheels and can't wait to make some for my garden!

**I usually get one or two visits from squirrels at the beginning of spring but after my Cairns chase them... they don't come back. :)

We even had one that we would see leave its nest and make his way up the hill to another neighbors yard but he would always stop and watch our yard for a few seconds before continuing on his way.

Haha! I guess that's what we need.. some pups :) Enjoy making these pinwheels!!

hey thanks a bunch! i never know what to do with these and i have a seltzer habit

now if only you could tell me what to do with all the little plastic hummus containers, lol, i be all set

Haha! I will come up with something just for you, Jean Genie!

Anonymous

Awsome idea