Amaryllis Not Blooming

My new amaryllis is producing a few leaves, but no stalk or bloom. I've watered it per directions for two months or more. I started in early December. I have it in a window to give it some light, and water it just when it needs more. I have it in the soil and container provided.

Thanks!

Best Answer

I live in Florida and grow Amaryllis indoors as well as outdoors.
We are having unusual summer weather but my Amaryllis only have nice green leaves but no blooms yet.
I believe the outdoors may start in March but my indoors have already bloomed but may bloom again.

Be sure you are only keeping the soil moist and not wet and that your bulb is at least 1/3 above soil. Not sure what your instructions say.

Be patient and it will probably bloom very soon. Can you give it any warm outdoor sun?
Be sure to read up on care even if you have instructions.

Here is a link from UF agriculture web site:

gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/.../amaryllis.html

www.longfield-gardens.com/.../All-About-Amaryllis

They can be dormant in the winter. You can force them to bloom. Instructions are here. www.thespruce.com/growing-amaryllis-1402227

The last few years this has been a problem for everyone I know who is trying to grow the lovely Amaryllis. I have no clue why. You may want to talk to where you bought it and see if others are having the same issue.

These have been such a disappointment. Even the expensive ones. Maybe you will get lucky and yours will eventually bloom, but if your luck is like mine, you will get hardy leaves that die almost as fast as they grow.

I would cut the stalk down to within 2 inches of the bulb and start over. Your plant could be in a dormant period also.