Amazon Parrot Information and Photos

Category Birds
The Amazon parrots consist of approximately 30 different species ranging in size from medium to large. They are native to the new world with a range covering South America, Mexico, and the Caribbean. This is a guide containing Amazon parrot information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
20 years

Your Pet's Breed
Double Yellow Headed Amazon

How and when did you get your pet?
It was May 1995, when my daughter called to say she knew of a parrot someone was trying to sell. Her friend worked in a pet store and knew I always had wanted one. Someone had called the store trying to sell one. He got her number for me. A meet was arranged and I came home with this weird green bird with barely any yellow. It was said to be a 10 yr. old male, a few years later she blossomed into a female trying to lay eggs. I'd brought home a one year old female.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Birdo loves to make first - lots of noise. Social interaction is vital to their lives. Birdo and I chat most all day. She understands me better than I her. Not to say that I'm not fairly fluent in Birdo chirps and appreciate their significance and use. She's not a trick talker and maintains a vocabulary of ~ 20 words and expressions. She's adept with our words though. Her beloved daddy has become "BoBirdo" and is used lovingly - or as a loud call! The word 'bye' has many variations depending on the situation. Birdo is absolutely the biggest presence in a house with two German Shepherds and a cat.
Second - make big messes everywhere! No beating this one.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Parrots are a "lot" of work. They deserve a life long commitment. (I have made provisions in my will for her) They are still wild. They will bite. Have you ever seen birds on a wire that aren't squabbling somewhere? You need to know a lot of information to maintain their healh and avoid bad behaviors. Behaviour and noise is what leads to thousands of these birds being surrendered into sanctuaries. If neglected they may self mutilate. They have the intelligence equivalent to a three year old child but not any developed sense of our time. Other than that, Birdo is the greatest gift in my life. We will be celebrating twenty years together this May. I was so woefully uninformed at the time poor Birdo is lucky to have survived until the internet. If you ever do want to consider a bird, please go to a sanctuary. There are many birds out there in need of forever homes. Start with a budgie and learn the ropes. You may suddenly have a snuggly new bff. I know I do.

Comment Like this photo? 7

Verne is a 29 year old Orange Winged Amazon Parrot. Verne was a Christmas present for me when he was 2 years old. I have had him now 27 years! Verne recently decided wandering the floor and chewing things up was lots of fun, so we had to get a cage for him to have plenty of room to roam without going out into the house like he had been doing. Parrot cages are very expensive, so we instead, bought an extra large doggie crate made of metal cage. It is perfect! We got some apple tree limbs cut to size, mounted a few other perches at his feed bowls, which we screwed to the side of the door for easy filling. And voila ~ Verne has a nice big playhouse now with lots of climbing room and chewing room too! Verne loves for me to rub his cheeks and the back of his head. He will fluff out his feathers and get ready whenever I come to him with one finger out to rub him. He is my baby, but nobody else can touch him, though the rest of the family can hold him, through growling protests!

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

Parrot sitting on white wire shelving.

Comment Like this photo? 5

Hi, my name is Truman. I'm a Yellow Nape Amazon. I think I'm about 2 years old, I'm not really sure because my new human rescued me from some really bad people!! My favorite hobby is eating, can't you tell?

By Lynn Williams

Comment Like this photo? Yes