Verne (Orange Winged Amazon Parrot)

Verne is a 29 year old Orange Winged Amazon Parrot. Verne was a Christmas present for me when he was 2 years old. I have had him now 27 years! Verne recently decided wandering the floor and chewing things up was lots of fun, so we had to get a cage for him to have plenty of room to roam without going out into the house like he had been doing. Parrot cages are very expensive, so we instead, bought an extra large doggie crate made of metal cage. It is perfect! We got some apple tree limbs cut to size, mounted a few other perches at his feed bowls, which we screwed to the side of the door for easy filling.

And voila ~ Verne has a nice big playhouse now with lots of climbing room and chewing room too! Verne loves for me to rub his cheeks and the back of his head. He will fluff out his feathers and get ready whenever I come to him with one finger out to rub him. He is my baby, but nobody else can touch him, though the rest of the family can hold him, through growling protests!

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

Verne is beautiful! I'm surprised he only recently decided to chew things up, as I thought most birds always need something to chew on to keep their beaks in shape (I have no experience with bird pets). Two of my friends have pet parrots & they're always telling me great stories about the things their parrots do. I learned that they're very intelligent & engaging pets. I wish you continued good luck with your parrot pal Verne!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a lovely pet - thank you for being such a caring pet lover.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Pets Pet PagesJune 25, 2012
🐛
🌻
📓