AdoptionParenting

Answering an Adopted Child's Questions

My adopted granddaughter (now 7 years old) is obsessed with seeing her birth mother. She was adopted at the age of 6 months. It is an open adoption, but the birth mother has never tried to contact her or be involved in any way. There are 3 siblings in the birth family that my granddaughter doesn't know about. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

By Linda

Maybe just showing her a picture would help her. She than could pick out things that she has that are the same, like hair color, eye color. I would hate to have her send a picture or mail that would be returned. Since it was to be an open adoption maybe you could contact the birth mother and ask how her how she wants to handle this.

You need to contact the birth mother or birth father and see if they would like to send a picture, talk over the phone, or meet the child in person. I do think your grandchild is curious about what they look like. My adopted son has never been very curious about his birth parents, but is curious about birth siblings since he is an only child in our home.