Applying Texture to Walls

Category Walls
You can change the appearance of a wall and sometimes hide a flaw or two by adding texture. This is a guide about applying texture to walls.

My kitchen was previously finished with VERY deep, swirly texture on the walls. Some of the texture is well over 1/2 inch deep. Of course, it is miserable to clean. I do like the look of Tuscany texture, within reason. How can I re-texture over this? I wouldn't dare sand it off due to worry about old lead based paint. What products and tools should I use? Please help!

By Bluey from Laramie, WY

Answers

I'm not a diy person at all, but my walls have texture too and I hate it, not as deep as yours though.

I was thinking, for my problem, that I might just sheet rock, have my husband sheet rock,right over my textured walls. Then paint as usual over the sheet rock.

Maybe this will work for you. I wouldn't attempt to take that texture down for love or money, let alone lead paint.

Good luck!

Well most of that texture is made from joint compound, but some is not. I think you might have to worry more about asbestos poisoning than anything. I know the blown on texture is a worry. I took down the texture in my kitchen with water and a scraper but that was before I knew the dangers of it. It was an absolute mess. If yours is that thick, I don't think I would try it, dangerous or not. With the texture being so deep, I think I would do as Metroplex suggested and just dry wall over it.

My walls are also textured, but not quite as deep. I'm applying "Venetian Plaster" to them, after applying a primer recommended for the purpose of the application. Behr makes both products and it is a "Tuscan" look. Of course, it will take a bit more of the product to fill the texture as deep as yours. The product is already tinted the color you select and you put it on the walls with a wide putty knife after the primer dries. Mine is looking fantastic! Home Depot carries the stuff, and Lowes or other home improvement stores may also carry it. Might be worth considering. Good Luck!

Pat T in FL

First if you house was built after 1972 it is unlikely you will find any asbestos. If you are concerned about asbestos take a small amount of the texture to a testing lab for about 50 dollars you can find out. While you are at it have tape tested too. Use a knife and cut a piece the size of a quarter that is enough to test. In order to correct your texture problem I would skim coat the entire textured wall. After the wall has been smoothed you can apply any texture you prefer.

rygobus

I have a painted sheetrock wall. I was wondering if I can texture it with sheetrock mud. Then repaint it. Has anyone ever done this and was it succesful?

Verue from LA

Answers

Yes you can, I had a wall that had lots of scuffs and marks, this hid everything.
You can buy a special roller for this, it is a hard plastic, works great.
I have also used ordinary stencils, apply the mud with a small putty knife and gently pull off the stencil. Then prime and paint. Good for borders.Very durable.
Good luck

yes, all you have to do is get a long nap roller and some sheetrock mud, thin the mud with some water to the consistency of frosting, then roll the wall. then paint as usual.

My sister and I did this in her bathroom, using a trowel. We spackled it on and created a texture she liked. When dry, paint over it.

Yes! Its easy to do. Just thin your mud to the consistency of cake frosting. You can use those expensive paint rollers, or you can go to the dollar store and buy a whisk broom and roller there. Paint swirls into a design. It looks very nice once painted..and it covers everything.

Can regular drywall texture be sprayed onto painted plaster walls? If so, is there any special preparation necessary prior to texturing? The walls were papered, but that has been removed and the paste washed off. Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

Answers

Yes, but you need to lightly sand first as the plaster is too slck and the drywall texture will not adhere well.