Are These Aphids on My Hoya?

I took my hoya indoors a month or two ago because of the cold and now I am noticing this residue over many of the leaves and stems. I'm wondering if this is aphid residue and what I could use to spray on it. I have tried a DIY spray that I have been putting on it weekly consisting of water, dish soap, and real lemon juice, but there continues to be this problem.

Best Answer

This is a form of aphids and they are growing and laying eggs now. Just spraying alone will not stop them. What you need to do is spray the leaves and use your hand or a soft cloth to wash them off the leaves and steams of the plant. Get them off the leaves. I have mixed in a small bucket a mild soap and used a rag to wash my plants with it and washed every leaf and the steams. This got rid of them.

Anonymous

Thanks for responding!
I decided to put my plant (plant stand and all) in the shower. I gently sprayed the entire plant using the handheld shower head using warm(ish) water.

I will be checking it daily to see if they are still multiplying.

Best Answer

This is really infected.
If you have not solved your problem you may need to lay your plant on the side of your sink so as much of the leaves and stems are in the sink. Fill this sink with lukewarm water, add a little blue Dawn dish soap and take a small cloth and gently wash the leaves and stems. Drain the water and do the same again. Drain the sink and leave the plant drain for a few minutes. Examine your plant and if still bad you may have to try again.

I would suggest you purchase some organic Neem oil as this is the best fungicide for all kinds of plant problems.
You can find it online and all stores with garden centers.
Use as directed but it takes time to cure.
Try to set your plant where you can spray it without spraying your furniture - either in your laundry room or even your bathtub.

Try a fungicide if nothing else is working.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlDecember 7, 2019
🐛
😎
🎆
🌻
👔
😷