Growing Hoya Flowers

Category House Plants
These vining indoor plants make ball shaped clusters of flowers reminiscent of mophead hydrangeas. This is a guide about growing hoya flowers.

Question:

Does anyone know if a Hoya plant should be kept in a small or larger pot? Also, should they be kept moist or dry? I've had a Hoya for over 10 years and it has never bloomed.

Thanks,
Eleanor

Answer:

Hoya plants generally prefer to be kept root bound. A rule of thumb is not to repot them until it's unavoidable. Water them enough to soak the root mass, and then let the upper 1/3 to upper 1/2 of the pot dry before watering again.

Water them liberally in summer and only in amounts to prevent leaves from shriveling in the winter. Hoya plants like well-drained, slightly acidic soil, warm temperatures and high-humidity-near saturation. They also prefer higher levels of potassium to bloom.

When kept indoors in centrally heated and cooled rooms they will rarely bloom. Place them outside in partial shade (under a tree) for the summer to encourage blooming. They should receive at least four hours of direct sunlight, but need to be kept out of noonday sun in order to bloom. Too much shade discourages blooming and too much sun will burn their leaves.

Once buds appear the plants should not be disturbed. Also, dried flower spurs should not be removed as next seasons flowers will appear in these same spots.

A smaller pot would be better, as Hoyas should be allowed to become completely pot-bound. This promotes flowering. They like to be watered well in summer, but keep them a little dry in winter. Hope this helps.

If you are having trouble getting a Hoya to bloom, try it directly in a west window and remember when it does bloom, let the blossoms fall as another will take it's place in the same spot on the vine.

By ERP

I am curious as to which type of hoya this may be. I don't think it is a carnosa. I saved it from a local nursery, it had ill variegated leaves as if two plants had been put together which I removed. After some fresh soil and a good drink it's getting new growth.

Answers

Hello !
You will have to wait for the first flowers to be sure but there is a good chance that it is an hoya carnosa. If your local nursery is not an hoya specialist it is quite sure that it is an hoya carnosa. It is not because it doesn't have the little silvery grey spots on its leaves and that the leaves are light green instead of deep green that it is not a carnosa. The colour and the silver spots on the leaves depend on the light and the growing conditions. I hope you will soon see its flowers as it may be not so rare but its flowers has one of the strongest chocolate/rose smell. Good luck for the flowers as it is a bit capricious.
Catherine

Hi Catherine, thank you for your response to my question. I am going to upload another picture of the new growth my hoya has got. I have two leaves that are a deep purple color! This exciting because it's possible I may have got my hands on a pubicalyx. Still may be to early to tell, but another lead none the less.

Hi Catherine, thank you for your response to my question. I am going to upload another picture of the new growth my hoya has got. It has a deep purple or maroon color to it, which is exciting because that opens up a possibility of it being a pubicalyx! I would love e to get my hands on that variety, it may be to early to tell still but is possible.

Is the hoya plant and/or flowers poisonous?

By Judy B.

Answers

Sap in the leaves and stems may be an irritant for some people. The plant may be poisonous to cats.