Automobile Safety Tips

Category Safety
When you are traveling in an automobile, it is good to be aware of many safety tips to keep safe during your trip. This is a guide about automobile safety tips.

This was recently submitted, similar versions are making their way around the internet and have been for years. It's an urban legend but probably worthy of mention.

"Learn and teach others about using *677 on your cell phone while driving. With all kinds of nuts out there, if you are signaled by what looks like an unmarked police car or any car with a flashing light on top to pull over DO NOT PULL OVER. Use your cell phone and call *677 which will get you to a police dispatcher who can tell what is or is not going on and advise you accordingly.

Do not stop for anyone until you know you will be safe. The dispatcher will check to find out if it is indeed an unmarked police car. If it is, it will be radioed to tell them you will not stop until it is a safe area. If it is not an unmarked police car, and a serial killer or rapist or whatever evil-minded person is trying to get a hold of you, your actions will keep you safer.

Drive to the closest and safest area preferable a police station. This actually happened to a young woman named Laura who heeded her parents advise to never stop for an unmarked car. It was only 1:30 in the afternoon. When the unmarked police car pulled alongside her car with their flashing light on their rooftop, and signaled for her to pull over, she kept going and immediately punched in *677, gave the info to the dispatcher who checked it out and called her back to tell her there were no unmarked police cars in that area.

She was told to keep driving, and backup was already on the way. In a short time 4 police cars surrounded Laura and the suspect car. One officer went to Laura's car to protect her. Every other police officer went to the unmarked police car and apprehended a convicted rapist wanted by the police for other crimes. Cell phone companies do not advertise this *677.

I want everyone to know about it, and I want everyone to email, call or tell everyone they know about it. If someone doesn't have a cell phone, just keep driving and go straight to an area with other people around. I'd drive to a police station if one were close enough. We all have to help one another."

Snopes has a great write up on this. You can read it here:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.asp

The #677 probably will not work. #77 will work in some states. The safest bet is to just call 911 if you think the person pulling you over is not a cop. You can dial 911 on any functioning cell phone (even a phone without a service plan should work).

Sent In By Joan in CT

Top Comment

This was happening in our area a few years ago. Wasn't a myth!! The Sheriff here put an article in the paper about it. Someone was trying to pull people over, and managed to get a few stopped. They were robbed. The Sheriff's Dept. here said that if you don't have a cell phone, to turn on your 2-way flashers, and drive straight to a police staion, or populated area. ( Like a crowded gas station.) He said you couldn't be charged for not stopping in an isolated area, even if the car is marked. I am in NC.

Be sure to look at all your tires before getting in the car, as one might be low and cause you to have a blow-out and wreck.

By Terri H.

By guest client (Guest Post)
Top Comment

What I do is a weekly check up. I check the oil, radiator water, windshield washing fluid, and tire air pressure. Once a month I check the lights to make sure they all work. Police can give you a ticket for a bad light and that is expensive. The other thing I do once a month which is pretty important is check my tires for nails or screws. Seems like once a year I get something like that stuck in my tire and while it may not puncture or flatten your tire it's good to have them removed. I bought my tires at Big 0 and they fix these problems for free (you paid for services, so they aren't really free). They also rotate my tires for free as well. Be sure to take advantage of any of the services that come with your tires, they help your tires last longer.

Lets hope this doesn't happen, but if you become stranded at night and need to make your car seen. Put a large X of reflector tape across the inside of the trunk lid and on the inside of your hood. Lift the trunk and hood, and your car can be seen from a distance.

By Tracey

When I am in parking lots going in or coming out of the store, I see people all the time clicking their car unlocker. They are like 20 or 40 feet away from the car. Please don't do that! Every time I see some one do that I think, wow, they are calling attention to themselves saying here I am and that is my car and it is now unlocked.

I don't have this invention but I wouldn't click it until I was at the car bumper at least.

By Sandy from Baltimore, MD

It is important that all of your car's lights function properly because cars around you need to know. It is important to check all your headlights, blinkers, brake light and signals to see if they are working properly. I do this bi-weekly, just a few minutes out of your day.

The other day, my mother was coming home and I noticed her lights were not properly lit. Although in the dark, you see some light so you would never have guessed one bulb is out. You can also get a warning or a ticket if you get pulled over for having a light note working properly too. It is best to check your lights regularly!

To lessen front end impact when you see you're about to be rear-ended, turn your front wheels so you'll not hit the vehicle in front of you square on.

For Christmas this year my mom gave me a kitchen size fire extinguisher. I know that you can never have too many extinguishers, but I already have one in the kitchen and one downstairs.

My question is this... Can I leave it in my trunk? I think that it would be a great idea to keep with me in case of accidents. I just don't know if it will get too hot in there and cause it to explode.

Thanks,
Liz from Ontario

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Liz, We keep a fire extinguisher in each car. Be sure it is secure. One day mine rolled around in the trunk and filled the car with "dust". I pulled over immediately and wasn't sure what had happened until I opened the trunk! It was a mess to clean up, but we immediately put another one in the trunk! More than once, we have stopped and helped someone by having an extinguisher in our car.

Best Answer

What type of fire extinguisher is it? The ones made for a kitchen are a different type and rating than those for an auto. Check with your local fire dept.

What safety issues have been reported about Dodge Chargers, 2006 and later?

Cy from Gravelbourg, SK

Answers

Hi Cy - your best source would be Consumer Reports. They do not take a single dime of advertising from anyone including carmakers. Find back issues at your public library, and get brave and ask if you need help - like you did here!

I found four but this is on the SR8 Charger, If I knew the year I can see if you have any.
J27
11/05/2009
Recall - Front Wheel Hub Nut Torque

NHTSA09V420000
10/29/2009
Recall 09V420000: Front Spindle Nut Missing

H41
02/03/2009
Recall - Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Replacement

NHTSA08V642000
12/04/2008
Recall 08V642000: Tire Monitor Sensor Replacement