BC/BS Coverage and Medicare Part B?

Does my coverage thru the Federal Government allow me to delay Medicare Part B so that I can also use TriCare? I'm reading that my coverage with the Blues will allow me to delay enrolling in Part B, but it is unclear if this means I can still use TriCare. The online says that I must have Part B coverage to retain TriCare. I'll still continue to keep my coverage by BC/BS.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 11, 20180 found this helpful

You need to contact both TriCare and Medicare. They will tell you what to do.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 11, 20180 found this helpful

Contact Medicare ASAP and have them tell you all the ins and out. You do not want to risk getting enrolled when you need to and only they can tell you the information based on your specific needs/information/age/history:



Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 12, 20180 found this helpful

Insurance coverage is not easy to understand so it is always best to go directly to the organization to get the most accurate information.


  • You will need to go to your local Social Security office to find out about Medicare. You should be able to contact someone within the service to find out about TriCare.
  • BC/BS really have nothing to do with your coverage concerning Medicare enrollment and definitely have nothing to do with your TriCare so please go to the SSA about Medicare first.
  • All of these enrollments have time limits so wherever you are in your retirement it is important to find out about coverage ASAP as there is no "forgiveness" if you run past the deadlines without making a decision.
  • Your TriCare handbook will clearly state that if you are eligible for Medicare Part A/B then you must have Medicare Part B to keep TriCare lifetime benefits as Medicare Part B is the primary coverage and TriCare is the secondary coverage.

    There is a time line that must be followed so do not hesitate with finding out where you stand.
  • Here is information from TriCare:
  • You must have Medicare Part B to keep your TRICARE coverage, even if you live overseas.
  • You will lose your TRICARE coverage if you don't have Part B, if you drop Part B, or fail to pay your Part B premiums."
  • Here are websites that deal with this subject but even if you read the information, you need to discuss your Medicare plans with someone at the Social Security office.
  • www.tricare.mil/.../Retiree_and_Family
  • www.tricare.mil/.../Separating
  • www.tricare.mil/.../OHI
  • You can discuss your BC/BS after you decide about your TriCare but just be sure that your BC/BS plan has Medicare as the primary carrier so your plan will be much less expensive.
  • Advertisement

  • If you happen to pass any deadline for whatever reason, there is no getting the same coverage back so make an appointment with SS as soon as you can.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Budget & Finance Health InsuranceOctober 11, 2018
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 13:23:32 in 844 msecs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.