Back Child Support and SSI

My son's father lives in Marion South Carolina and I live in Maryland. He is on SSI so he sends me a letter saying that he no longer has to pay child support because he's on SSI now. This is not fair to me because he never paid when he was not on it. Please help.

By RB

Best Answer

Go to the Social Security Administration in your area or see your social worker. They will help since he is right he doesn't have to pay child support but it will be withdrawn from his SSI check. Also, you should receive back payments so have all your records ready when you go.

My two kid's father is in the arrearage of $14,000+ n he jus started receiving SSDI this month,they sent me a payment of how much he's ordered to pay but will I get a lump sum of back pay like he told me.

My Grandaughter we live in Florida NVR could get any money from her dad cause he received a ssi check she's 20 now and he has 6 kids she cuts herself stays deppresed is there any help for her ? We try when she was young they said No. So wrong any help for Sierra so sad she was put in a place when she was 13 for 2-3 days ....She deserves something

Can't get child support from SSI payments.

ahh no they do not take it from SSI only SSDI

You will have to go to the child support enforcement office, and maybe the Social Security Office for advice.

I worked in Child Support Enforcement for app. 25 years. The federal government has ruled that anyone who is eligbile for SSI (Supplemental Security Income), rather than SSA (Social Security Disability payments) does not have to pay child support as they are deemed to be unemployable.

You should ask him to provide copies of the letter from Social Security approving him for SSI. I am sorry this is unfair, but the basis is that someone who cannot work cannot pay child support. Too bad they can't fix them where they can't have children they can't support.

I agree, you need to see an official copy of that information, However, my guess is it is from that date forward, and it does not forgive back child support. See a lawyer.

I live in Texas. I too have an exhusband on SSI. I get my child support from his checks. He even went to court to say that he could not live on $1700.00 a month. I was lucky. The judge told him to pay up as he too didn't pay when he had the chance. I never had to go to court. I just worked with the the state. Good luck, I hope this helps.

I lived in South Carolina for many years and owed child support in CA. South Carolina has very strict rules on child support and WILL come after him.

You need your state to contact SC and they will be relentless to get your money, including the back payments. SC does not like bad check writers and child support owers. Hope this helps and good luck