Basic Golden Oats

When I discovered this recipe some years ago, I just couldn't have imagined that oatmeal can do this! Use it with any rice, pasta or potatoes with your meal. It also isn't much longer to make it than instant rice. It has more protein in it because of the egg. It is whole grain, and also very tasty, too.

Directions:

Start heating a 10 inch pan with the butter on medium. Put the oatmeal into a med. bowl, and add the beaten egg, and stir it well, just make sure that the oats are very well coated. If not, you may get mushy oatmeal.

When the butter is bubbling, scrape the oatmeal/egg mixture into the pan, and start stirring it constantly for anywhere from 3-5 minutes, you'll be looking for the oats are separate, dry, and lightly browned.

Then, add the liquid (broth, water or orange juice) and salt in the pan, and just let it cook, occasionally stir it only, until the liquid is evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.

When I put orange juice in it, I added dried cranberries, raisins, or dried cherries, whatever I happened to have. Herbs and spices work well too, whatever is your favorites, or will go with the rest of the meal.

It's then ready to serve.

I had lost my cookbook, and I just found it last week. I used to know how to make the oat pilaf in my head, but couldn't find anything online because I only called it "oat pilaf".

When I found the cookbook, it was called "Basic Golden Oats". Others can probably find more information about it online, because that is just the basic recipe. There are other variations, like apple cinnamon golden oats, and once you know how to make the basic recipe, go wild with experimenting and creating.

There must be free recipes from Quaker Oats still, and they have updated for other uses for golden oats. I looked just last night, it said to bake the golden oats to dry them and can use it for putting on desserts, granolas, muffins etc. so, that was news to me.

I have never tried making it with an egg substitute, but, I'm going to try it soon, since it is mostly made of egg whites, I would think it would work too. I'm an experimenter. ;)

Servings: 4
Time:2 Minutes Preparation Time
5-8 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: The Quaker Oats Wholegrain Cookbook. I bought it some years ago at a thrift store, and it probably was originally a free cookbook from Quaker Oats.

By Kathryn Visser from Rockford, MI

Food and Recipes Recipes Side DishesAugust 18, 2021
🌻
👔
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Basic-Golden-Oats-1.html