Basic Red Tomato Sauce

Category Sauces
Using canned or fresh tomatoes, you can make a delicious red sauce to use in many different dishes. This page is about basic red tomato sauce.

This is a great mild red sauce that the kids can help make. This year I made a double batch using fresh tomatoes from the garden (with skins removed), rather than the canned tomatoes, and processed it in pint jars using the hot water bath canning method. Great on spaghetti.

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes.

Place the tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze with spoon or hands to break them into small pieces (I like to put the kids in charge of this part). Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot with the onion and stir well.

Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

You can store this sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, freeze up to 3 months, or I have canned it. One batch makes 10 cups (2 1/2 quarts).

Note: Add red pepper flakes if you like a little more kick. I often fuss with the spices to taste and have added finely chopped zucchini for a vegetable boost.

Source: Emeril's "There's a Chef in My Soup!" So far this is the best kid's cookbook I have found. The directions are great and all the meals I have tried were nutritious and enjoyable for the whole family.

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

Top Comment

Sounds wonderful, but I have one concern: Being there's onions in the recipe, and you often add zucchini, it really should go through a pressure canner to be safe.

Looks like you have a good chef helper there. Nice pics too!